Memaloose Hills

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any would be welcomed

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Always worry about an image appearing too cooked

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Taken in the Columbia Gorge yesterday early am in my favorite wildflower haunt, a scrub oak forest. The yellow flowers as all Oregonians know are Balsamroot. When you can catch both balsamroot and lupine together, that’s ideal. This was taken with a Canon 5Dsr, 24-70mm at 24mm, polarizer. f16, iso 500, 1/45th. It is a composite of 5 images merged in Helicon Focus for DOF. The Gorge is typically a very windy place, so this technique only works when the wind is uncharacteristically quiet. Early am can be best for this.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The wildflowers that you guys get are absolutely gorgeous. I wish we had them in the UK!

Daniel,

A case can be made for occasions when a 50/50 split works! :smiley: The closeness of the flowers really make this work and kind of forcing the budding oak in to a supporting role. But I really like it all. The stage of the oak is my favorite with leafing out with new growth in the spring.

Processing/color/sat all look good. The only small suggestion I have would be to clone out the one lonely little blue flower in the lower left. If he had some company that would be one thing, but it kinda is an eye magnet. Minor stuff though.

Lon

Since moving to the Northwest in 2002, I have to constantly pinch myself to be sure I’m not dreaming with all this beauty that abounds. One of my favorites is the three elements you caught; balsamroot/lupine/oak. (Hopefully you didn’t find poison oak mixed in; that gives me a huge amount of grief if I’m not careful.)

This works great Daniel, although the selfish part of me would love another flower in the lower left.