Messy Ozark Autumn

I’ve been spending time—as I see a lot of us are—going through some old photos forgotten in my library. Here’s one about which I’m not quite sure how I feel. In perusing my catalog, it caught my eye. I’m truthfully not sure why. Maybe I’m wishing for colder weather and autumn. Maybe I’m a sleep deprived new parent. Maybe I’m just trying to see something that’s not there.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

And would be appreciated.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I’m more interested in the artistic aspect. Please feel free not to pull punches. This isn’t one I marked as liking the first time around, and I’m open to any thoughts the community has. Does the composition fall flat or does its work? Processing seem to fit or over done…or not enough? Does the chaos in the frame draw your attention or does is not distract from the four trees which (I think, looking back) caught my eye?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Fuji X-T2 with at 28 mm, f/6.4, ISO 200, 1/20. Edited in LR. Most of the processing was color. There were some nice yellows in the foliage which I sought to bring out in the HSL panel.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

You should feel good. This is an excellent image. An entrance, a passage to a wonderland. It would be nice if there was greater separation between the two trees on the left but then the passage would be partially blocked ( if you moved to the left). It’s a minor point. It’s really a good image imo.

Ps I don’t find it messy. The combination of trees really work well together.

I agree with Igor, that this image has nice structure that provides the necessary order amidst the chaos. The colour palette is subtle that speaks of early autumn. For me, there is a nice double gateway that leads me into the picture - the two larger trees (well, actually three) in the foreground and then the two smaller ones further back. I might be inclined to use the light a little more to bring my eye through. I might try bringing up the highlights in the clump of low growth between the leading two trees and also do the same with the brighter area between the two trees in the back. That would accentuate the leading line of light just a bit more.

Igor and Kerry, thank you for your feedback and thoughts on the image. I guess I’ll have to let this one stew for a while longer and see where it goes. I think I need to tone down the warmth or work on tonal separation as it looks like a bit of a golden color cast throughout to my eye.

This is lovely. There is a nice rhythm to the arrangement of the trees, with the smaller pair flanked by the larger trees, leading us into the frame. I’m with Kerry on brightening that clump that sits visually at the base of the two small trees and the bright area beyond the two small trees. Maybe even darkening the lighter tones only around the edges, to accentuate the sense of depth.

That’s what I like about it. Aside from the composition, which I’ve mentioned already.

No need to worry about this image, it is rather quite good. The color is very warm and appealing, vibrant but not over-done. The forest is inherently a messy place. But you have done a great job of creating order out of the messiness. As others have mention, the composition evokes a gateway into the depths of the forest. I love the repetition of shapes in the leaning trees. And the way you have processed the light with the bright yellow behind the 2nd set of trees does a nice job of reinforcing the repetition of shapes in the trees. The light forces the viewer to pay more attention to the shapes of the trees. I also really like the small yellow tree/bush between the two front trees, it helps to balance the composition nicely.

While I love this image overall, the only thing that bothers me slightly is the dark tree along the right frame edge. It is a bit of an eye magnet for me. I had a go at cloning it away, just to see if I felt removing it would help. I think it does help. My cloning job was quick and dirty. But by spending more time on it, i think you could do it more effectively than me.

1 Like

You should feel just fine about this image, Adam. You managed to isolate a nice grouping of trees in the forest along with some lovely subdued lighting which shows off the warm colors of the season. I think @Ed_McGuirk’s rework improves an already wonderful image. Glad you were able to find this one for the rest of us to enjoy.

I share the enthhusiasm of the others for the colors and the double-gateway composition. Thanks for the trip through the woods.
I saw an opportunity to darken the light gray at the top, although that conveys some depth as it is. Also one could add saturation to the bottom center to pull eyes through the gate and balance the yellow and brown leaves at the top.

This is a beautiful forest image Adam. I like how my eye enters the scene through the standing trees. I also like Ed’s rework that removes the dark tree on the right.

This is just such a beautiful scene, Adam. How you were able to capture this, in what I know are visually chaotic settings, amazes me. I think it must be the framing provided by the trees in the near ground and background, creating an avenue for my eye to travel down. Just so peaceful and beautiful!