Milky Way at Acadia National Park

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I wanted to create a realistic dreaminess to the scene " evidence of things unseen". I think I achieved this to some degree.
I also wanted depth in the FG - maybe this could be improved?
The long exposure FG was focus stacked and blended with the stacked sky. I used luminosity masks to make the mask; the trees were a challenge and not perfect. Feedback on this and other ideas on techniques to do this appreciated.
H-alpha Astromod camera- feedback on white balance please

Creative direction

I like a dreamy , painterly look
The emotion I am looking for is quiet awe
I would appreciate feedback on developing my concept here

Specific Feedback

I would most like feedback on the aesthetic and technical followed by emotional

Technical Details

Canon R6 astromod Sigma 28 mm f 1.4
Sky ; 20 images stacked in Starry Landscape stacker
Each f1.8 , ISO 8000, 6 s
FG : 3 focus stacked images f 3.5 ISO 2500 , 8 mins
Processed in LR and Photoshop

Description

I am passionate about combining the beauty of the ‘celestial and terrestrial’ in natural scenes. Standing on the edge of this narrow cliff, looking out through a window framed by trees up to the sky and down to the water ; this felt like an invitation to dream… to journey.
I wanted to convey this.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

Theresa, a belated welcome to NPN! I had missed your earlier posts in the New Members area. You have excellent equipment and processing and a wonderful vision – you are more than capable to post over here!!

This is a wonderful image! You definitely achieved a dreamy, painterly look that evokes awe. The FG has wonderfully soft light with very pleasing but subdued detail. The reflection on the water is a wonderful touch! This is evocative of the look of the early American landscape painters of the Hudson River school.

You (with the help of SLS) did an excellent job blending the sky with the trees. I wonder if the sky could be a bit darker and still maintain the contrast to show off the MW structure?

I have the same lens. It is as good as we have in the Canon world for stars. I wonder if you have used a star filter (actual or in processing) for the larger stars? They feel just a bit more noticeable than I would expect – but just a tiny bit.

The nearest FG is soft but easy to not mind. It could possibly be darkened a bit more but no big deal. There is a strange-appearing area just left of your signature that could be concealed with some subtle cloning.

I look forward to more of your work and you comments on other images! NPN is a great place for learning and teaching, and general dialog.

Thank you so much for your feedback! And great to hear from a Canon shooter; I often have Sony envy - lol

• I will try darkening the sky a bit.
    -I didn’t mention in my write up , that thin clouds started to roll in as I was shooting the sky. You can see some in the bottom of the image but there was also a light fog. This acted as a " natural fog filter" here for the brighter stars. I did not use a filter or any star enhancement in post.
  • Do you think I should have done even more images in the focus stack to get sharpness even closer?
    -I think the area you refer to at the left of my signature is the out of focus rock closest to me from the cliff. I can try to clone that .
    Thank you again for your help and feedback.
    ~ Theresa

Sony has been amazing the last few years, but I have too much Canon gear (and muscle memory) to switch.

You had the best possible star filter! I don’t think the softness in the extreme FG is a significant issue, but a little concealment would be good for a big print – which this deserves! Close FG sharpness is something desirable and noticeable these days.

1 Like

That was my reasoning exactly- I think it is till death do us part for Canon and me.
I will do the concealment you suggest and try lightening the sky.
Thank you again!

I just found your Instagram and see you’re a serious night photographer. And you’re undoubtedly the only person here who has an APOD to their credit!!

1 Like

Coming from you that is quite a compliment.
I really appreciate it.

I’ve been to Acadia NP (nifty part of the world) and have tried my hand at astro-photography. I think this is a really worthy capture. The oooooonly thing I would look at would be to possibly clone out the boulder in the middle of the water. To me it’s a little eye-pulling. Well done!

Thank you!
I will consider that

Welsome! Stunning image!
Not the tiniest nit from me - congrats on the first post and first EP!

1 Like

Thank you so much!

Late to the show here, somehow I have missed this one! I love the softer painterly look myself so this really looks great to me. I think if you printed this on canvas or really nice natural fiber paper I dont think the softness would even be a thing. I could see darkening the sky a bit but I do like the way the sky goes with the landscape here. Beautiful light, well processed.

1 Like

Better late than never… lol .

I do appreciate the feedback .
I will look into that paper for printing for sure.
Thank you!

1 Like

Welcome, Theresa! This is a really nice image. Nothing to add that has not already been said. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

1 Like

Thank you ! I am planning to post and participate more. Looking forward to the learning :0)

Just wanted to say that I love this!

Thank you so very much!:blush:

This is an excellent picture. Love the method you used. Maybe removing the rock in the water and the tree branch at the very top left hand might make a difference. Well done.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your feedback. I really appreciate it.
I will think about removing that rock; someone else also mentioned it as a distraction.
All the best!