Misty Autumn Forest Redux

Another from Shenandoah National Park.
:vulcan_salute:

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any. Does the tree in front bother anyone? Does it’s prominence unbalance the image?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Another real winner Michael. I liked the previous one very much but this may be better, I would tilt this counterclockwise so that the center tree is vertical. I feel a bit hypocritical making that suggestion but it does help.

There’s a nice square crop on the far right with the green tree dead center. But I suppose there are numerous other crops as well.

Great job. You’re on a roll.

Michael, I did not comment on your previous fog scene but it was very well done. I like this one even more! The tree trunks are spaced wonderfully and the colors are handled really well as they naturally become more subdued with distance. The main tree is prominent but for me it has the appropriate amount of weight in the scene. This is one of my favorite images of yours, great work!

Michael,

Well, well, well… taming of the forest chaos eh? I’d say you’ve got the edge now…

This is wonderful! Not fair to compare as I thought your previous image was fabulous. As is this one, but they’re a bit different. Previously more about the lone autumn tree - among the trees and fog. this one is more about the trees, structure and finding such a cool arrangement in such dense fog. More about the trunks and trees here.

No, the upfront trunk doesn’t bother me - in fact it’s rather the anchor of the scene. If anything, the tree on the left, the extra space it takes and the fact that it’s not a straight-trunked tree creates a very slight imbalance - but then again, it also helps frame the scene, much like the tree on the right - both of them a little bit obscured with the fog.

I can see a square crop as Igor is leading to. I think however, just some minor skewing to straighten up (at least a little more vertical, but not perfect,) the main tree - without losing much on either side - especially the right.

Aside any of that, this just has a wonderful mood and atmosphere. and you’ve certainly crafted an “order from chaos” forest scene. Congrats!

Lon

Great image, with an excellent mood. I agree about straightening it. The skewing would preserve more of the frame, as @Lon_Overacker suggests. Otherwise, works beautifully for me as presented.

Hi Michael,

I’m a complete sucker for misty forests, I love them and get in there as often as I can. So, you’re speaking to my inner Elf already with the subject matter!

As I just discussed in the Yoselmite tree critique, every image has an emotional footprint that is a function of it’s geometry, atmosphere, luminosity, contrast and color.

Everything about this image says calm, The subdued colours, the low contrast, the misty atmosphere and the vertical lines of the trees. The forked tree adds some dynamics, but as it is on the left side of the frame, it gets lost.

To illustrate the point I have flipped the shot horizontally and you’ll see that now the fork is on the right, the “dominant” tree is on the left. The content hasn’t changed, yet everything has changed. The emotional footprint is different, and it’s different due to the dynamics of the geometry being shifted.

To me, the flipped version feels more harmonious than the original. The distribution of energy is calmer, yet more energetic.

In anonymous landscape like this, I have no. issue with flipping, although it isn’t something I do at Tunnel View :wink:

1 Like

Very nice! I especially like how that tree pops out from the background.

Oh, mist and forests… such a good combination! The big tree doesn’t bother me, I like that it’s a bit larger and thicker than the rest this way, gives some extra depth.
Seeing the flip by @Alister_Benn I have to say that I enjoyed that even more. It ‘reads’ nicely with the the lighter parts on the left and the forked tree grabs good attention.

Wow, that’s just stellar. Love this one!

Lovely, lovely, lovely! Exquisite.

Mike,
This is another beauty with the foggy misty conditions providing plenty of mood. The prominence of the FG tree does not bother me, in fact I think it adds depth to the scene. I prefer your original version to the repost because I just see things left to right. That seems to flow in that direction if that makes any sense.