Monarch and Rose

Description: Monarch and Rose

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 5ds-r at f-22, 1/100, ISO 800 and 180 mm macro.

Is this a composite? No (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below. elwise44

Wayne, a Monarch on a red rose, and nice combination, in my opinion. It looks like nice details in the Monarch. I wasn’t able to enlarge all the way. To me, the BG is taking away from the subject, but I think the f22 is the culprit. That 180 mm lens could have smoothed out that BG nicely at a larger opening (smaller number). It is one of those things we have to play with, enough f-stop to get details in the subject, but loose the BG into a nice smooth and less distracting BG. It was still a nice find. I don’t recall ever seeing a Monarch on a rose before, and I do love the composition.

Hi Wayne, really interesting capture of a monarch on a rose. Agree with Shirley that a smoother background would help the image. Saturation also appears to rather strong especially on the butterfly. Still, a pleasing and unique image.

Thanks for the review and comments Shirley and Allen. I value your information. Thank I was set up for shooting jumping spiders this day. Over saturation is something that I have to twist my arm on to use moderation especially since butterflies are losing some of their colors now. Working on that.
Thanks again,
Wayne

Repost to show blended background by using gaussian blur then using paint brush to show rose and butterfly .
Wayne

1 Like

Hi Wayne,

Background and saturation certainly can be distractions for this image. With a large subject like this one, don’t be afraid to use a wider aperture and lower ISO. The saturation slider provides a very coarse adjustment and if used with a layer, adjusting the opacity can provide more finesse to adjustments in saturation. …Jim

Thanks Jim, I always appreciate your suggestions.
Wayne