Mono Lake Milky Way

Mono Lake Milky Way RAW file

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I had a problem with the f-stop on my lens and did not realize I had to change it on the lens until after the shoot, so I did not have it wide open.

Specific Feedback

General feedback, especially regarding how to process a night shot like this.

Technical Details

Sony a7iv with a Sony FE 1.8/14 GM lens on a tripod. ISO 3200, f/3.5, 25 sec.
Processed in LR and PS using luminosity masking to edit the color. I was trying to lessen the cyan and magenta tones near the horizon. I also tried dodging the stars to increase their brightness.

You have a good starting image here! There is sone distortion in the stars, especially in the corners, but that is to be expected of all but 1-2 lenses – pinpoint light is just a problem that is too difficult/expensive to design out except for specialty lenses. Yours looks like one the better normal-use ones. It is also normal to have an underexposed raw file, in order to avoid star movement. I doubt that stopping down here cost you a lot.

I think the blues are too strong in the processed file, and the distant mountains are much flatter than they could be. Here’s a quick trial, with better results obtained by doing the two adjustments on the raw file (virtual copies), then open both as layers in PS and mask.

Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 2.30.38 PM

Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 2.30.52 PM

The only part of the curve that counts is the part overlaying the histogram, so this is a crude attempt. Denoise will help due to the necessary underexposure.

I love the muted and blurred reflections in the water on this one. I ran this through my workflow real quick. I used Lightroom to create a mask for the sky and added to the mask for reflection in the water. Reflections are always darker and more saturated than what is reflected so I usually try to edit them at the same time to maintain the proper balance there. I brought the exposure up, brought up the whites and took down the blacks. Then I used the tone curve in the whole image. I Tend to slide the darkest part of the curve up a bit and then about halfway to the right side I bring that up a bit more. Then I ran it through the Ministars action in Photoshop to reduce the appearance of the brightest stars. This really accentuates the core, which is not for everyone, but is what I like! I am jealous of the relative lack of noise compared to my images on the Nikon D850. I stack to reduce noise, which would help this image a bit, but isnt really required. I suspect your exposure time is just a tad too long for perfect spot stars and as you mentioned, it would be a lot lighter if you’d shot it at 1.8 or 2.