Moreton Bay wooden boats

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My first post here!
Moreton Bay is a shallow bay with mostly muddy “beaches”. The mud is well hidden when the tide is in. This image is taken looking north at high tide just after our usual short summer sunrise.

I like to think this image implies calm and peace but with plenty of interest with the waves and reflections.

Specific Feedback

I have not “amped” up the colours or saturation and so some viewers may find this image dull.

Technical Details

Taken hand held using a 5Ds and EF 16-35mm f4L IS USM.
f10, 1/200, ISO 400 at 35mm.
Post processing mostly done in ACR with sharpening and a crop in PS.

Hi Mark and welcome to NPN - this is an inviting scene with a lot of lovely light and depth. As you suggest, we all have our preferences with regard to color and contrast, so take my version with that grain of salt, but I find it more appealing. I also wonder at the choice of composition - that is to leave all of the weight to one side rather than try to more evenly space out the boats within the scene. Sometimes it isn’t possible, but if you have one where you moved left, it would be interesting to see. Also where the entire reflection of the nearest boat is in frame.

In terms of settings and exposure, that looks right to me and you have good sharpness throughout. I like the ripples and the implied movement they create. A long exposure here with the boats rocking would be really cool, too.

Thanks for submitting this and deciding to join us. I hope you will make this your photography home on the internet. Oh and I’m going to move this to Everything Else simply because it’s a photo of boats and not entirely nature. No biggie, getting used to the categories takes a little time. Cheers!

Thanks Kristen.
I see what you mean about the space to the right and I can say honestly that I didn’t consider that aspect of the composition. The right side is the way it is as that’s the direction of the incoming waves and light. A lead in to the scene maybe?

Welcome to NPN Mark. this is such a peaceful, serene image. I love the light and colors. I also like Kris’ slightly increased contrast that makes the boats stand out a bit more. We’re all looking forward to seeing your work and hearing your thoughts on others’ work. Great first post.

1 Like

Thanks Ed.

Kristen, sorry but I did not see your posted image. I’m still learning how to get around this site. I like what you’ve done but being so much lighter I find it not “faithful” to what I saw…which then sets off the stupid and repetitive debate in my head about my photography being that vs art.

Anyway…as to a long exposure; these only work here at low tide. At high tide the boats bob around like crazy with those waves so one ends up with an abstract seascape full of blurred boats on a flat bay…