Old Adventure in Tierra Del Fuego

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I made this image in 2008; my first experience with digital imagery. i was smitten by the beauty of nature on this un-cruise of the channels of Chilean Patagonia. I like the light in the image that gives it a nice glow. The soft sky and tinge of orange also give it nice mood. I’d love to get back to Patagonia; that’s unlikely at this point.

Creative direction

When I made this I likely had no clue about creative direction. I just wanted a few good images. Still, without being able to articulate a vision, it seems to have generated a decent result. In revisiting the image, I made a few edits to remove white halos and to do some light paint coloring.

Specific Feedback

all

Technical Details

Nikon D80 - old eh? 1/20 sec, f14, ISO 100, 22mm

Description

From my recollection this is early morning on deck of the Via Australis, a small Chilean cruise ship . I highly recommend Cruceros Australis for an experience in Chilean Tierra Del Fuego that truly awes. The lines in the water in the foreground are likely from the ship’s wake.

1 Like

To me, this picture is all about colour – particularly the purples, blues (cool colours) and the yellows and oranges (the warm colours). Also the texture of the clouds is really nice. Overall though I can’t help but wish that the mountains were a more prominent element in the image. Also when I view this large, there is still some kind of haloing around the mountains – especially on the left side as well as some weird artifacting in parts of the sky.

Thanks, Tom. I agee with you about the color. About the halos, you should have seen this before i edited it. I got much of the haloing out, What remains I attribute to either the problems of the original file or to my fear of messing with it more since the mountains are so small. I appreciate your comments and time.

Larry, this is a very peaceful, restful view, where foreground ripples make it clear that you were on a boat. My one thought is to reduce the blue saturation on the distant mountains as they seem overly blue in the larger views. The touches of warmth in the sky and reflections are very pleasant.

Thanks, Mark. I will try reducing the saturation on the mountains. Thanks for your helpful input.