Pileated Poser

Description: I’m having the good fortune to have a rarely seen male Pileated Woodpecker coming into our backyard for the last several days posing for me. Here’s a shot I got of him this morning. D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, AI Clear, cropped to 4081 x 3183.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Oooh nice one! I love the exposed foot - they are so built for what they do. Maybe slide the shadows deeper a little - these guys are really dark. You could also try cloning out the leaf just under him. It’s kind of an eye magnet and since the bird has such nice details in the face and eye, it’s a shame to take attention away. What a magnificent bird! Don’t you love their crazy jungle-monkey calls? So loud!

Hey, that sound like some good advice. Thanks. Agreed on their call. Sound like a Tarzan movie when he’s here!

Another nice look at this guy, Dave. I have one that hangs around here occasionally, but he’s never posed for me like this! Good catch.

Hi Dave
I like the spot light coming through the tree, even if it does makes the Pileated look lighter than should. The coloring and detail are very nice. I think you could look at moving the framing up, loosing some of the tree and gaining more head room. ( that is if there is more head room.)
Nice photo.
Peter

Wonderful catch with great color and detail! My only thought would be a crop from the right to get rid of most/all of the brighter area on the limb and in the LR BG. Or tone them down quite a bit.