Plain Carrizo

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Devoid of blossoms
Coyotes hunting jackrabbits
Eye travels beyond

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

My first trip to Carrizo Plains was definitely not a “flower year”. (This whole scene would be awash with color and texture). But still, I had to get down at the edge of the playa to try to capture and convey the lines and scale.

Technical Details

1/500 f/16 (it was sunny and clear)

Specific Feedback

Does the image grab you, or is it just too desolate?
If it grabs you long enough to read this, I am curious what you think of being there at that time.

The B&W focuses on various textures without getting caught in the color. The curve in the path is very well placed and takes the eye to??? I see some fencing and the suggestion that hills are in the distance. I feel cheated. I want more and do not like being stopped in my tracks, so I am encouraged to spend more time with what I can see. This is a very effective way to get the viewer engaged. Good work.

I see this as a challenge to make lemonade out of lemons.

Sort of a Seinfeld photograph. It is about nothing, but maybe people will watch it.

1 Like

Thank you for your appreciative reflections. Maybe not lemonade but a lemon twist in a glass of water

1 Like

That was my initial reaction too. The s-curve is a great leading line, but leads to the pinched off top; I pine for more. I’m not sure I appreciate the effect as much as Barbara does.

That fence is an interesting component, and if you wandered over there to shoot it as a more prominent subject I’d be interested to see what you came up with.