Player piano roll

I was intrigued with this fallen birch tee and the patterns on it’s bark. Makes me thing of a player piano roll. Wonder what song it would play?

I keep my eye open for interesting subjects when out hiking looking for birds and other wildlife.

I guess this images can work in this weeks parallel lines challenge as well as upcoming fallen trees . A one for two image.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback welcome. I started with some black and white conversions but came back to color. I still like the muted colors.

Technical Details

f/6.3, 1/160, iso4000, 600mm on full frame slightly cropped. Hand held simple processing in LR and noise reduction in Topaz Denoise AI.

5 Likes

A very nice image, Bryan. Intriguing pattern. Well seen and captured. In my opinion this is one of the most joyful parts of photopraphy to find these smaller scenes in nature. Just a minor issue, have you tried to darken a little the brightest parts at the top (but not to much since needed to show the shape)?

1 Like

Oh nice! And I agree with Ola about the unexpected joy in a small scene like this. It’s like you’ve come across a secret that no one knows. When I see something like this it lights up my brain. Kind of fizzy. You’ve placed the tear in the bark in a great spot. Keeping it in color works for me. Even a subtle glow of orange and yellow gives us information. Maybe the more musical among us can figure out what song it is!

1 Like

Fantastic image, Bryan. At first glance I thought it was an image of burned tree trunks on a slope with a light snow blanket. Amazing what we can find when we slow down, and appreciate the small, hidden jewels of nature. Well done.

1 Like

Well seen (or is that well scene?) Superb job on the comp.

1 Like

@Ola_Jovall I did to some extent they were even brighter in the raw image. May need a bit more finesse.

Intriguing!! At first I thought it was a patch of some sort of seed heads.