Polka Dot Driveway

Image Description

I got up one frigid morning to find my black asphalt driveway looking like this. Icy, and treacherous to walk on but fascinating.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I was inspired by the unusual, natural formation right outside my window. At first it look very noisy but that was the actual texture of the icy surface. Notice the leaves are not noisy. I think the leaves are the only thing that actually makes it read as what it is: a ground surface.

Technical Details

D500, Nikon 18-200 lens, 1/400th, f 8.0, 142mm, ISO 1400, hand held, cropped to 5568 x 3712, Photo AI

1 Like

I remember this. Happened now and again at my old house. Very cool pattern you caught here. It’s so uniform. You placed the four leaves nicely. Possibly there’s a cyan cast here. It looks that way to me so you could see about that and maybe lower the blacks a bit. It would give it some punch if that’s the way you want to go. Careful out there! Even though I have a gravel drive now, we still had two inches of ice on it and I needed spikes to get the trash can!

1 Like

What a fun surprise to wake up to, Dave. I agree with @Kris_Smith that perhaps a bit more contrast would help to make it pop. Great shot.

Fun image, Dave. Nicely seen. I agree with the others about. boost in contrast.

Cheers,
David

Super cool find, right in your front yard! The contrast of patterns works nicely here. I could do without the pine needles but what can you do!? =)

Dave,

I can’t quite imagine someone’s driveway looking like this… but wow, what a great opportunity - hazard and all.

Love the placement of the leaves and of course the repeating patterns of the “polka dots” :slight_smile:

I don’t mind the needles so much, but I do think you could tighten the crop left and bottom, just to, well, tighten it up. You could eliminate at least one of the needles on the left if you cropped. Just a thought for consideration. But certainly this is a great find, capture and framing.

Lon

Very unique and creative scene! Maybe just clone out the two pine needles that somewhat compete with the few isolated leaves? You could also crop in a little tighter as others have suggested, mainly off the sides and the bottom so the space in the top remains the same.