Pussy Willow

Image Description

When I saw this week’s WC I immediately thought of these, a welcome sign of Spring and growing in my backyard. Stroking the soft buds feels like petting animal fur. I couldn’t find a composition I liked from my tree-like bush, so snipped a few branches and set them in a vase. Then, I couldn’t find a background that was suitable and I really wanted it to be an outdoor shot, so moved the vase to different locations until I was satisfied. Opened my aperture wide and zoomed in to create an OOF background.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I cropped a little on the sides to exclude some lawn and from the top due to no buds. Hope it’s close enough to show off the texture of the pussy willow. Beyond that, how is exposure, composition, color?

Technical Details

Fujifilm X-H2, Fujinon XF16-80 @63mm (95mm), AWB, handheld, Iso 160, f/4, 1/90s. Increased exposure in post, as well as adjustments to contrast and sharpening.

1 Like

The background works pretty well here all things considered. I love finding these, too. They come so early that there’s often still remnants of snow around. So soft at this stage and then they explode like little firecrackers. Nice find and good idea getting some twigs off them. If they bloom fully, do another shot!

I really like the texture of the Willows and the way they are presented here great image.

Thank you @Kris_Smith and @Bradley_Taylor for your kind remarks and taking the time to view my image.