Raging River

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

My intent in this detail of the St. Louis River in Minnesota, was to show the force of this raging river after a record snowy winter. Unfortunately, the image was made in bright sunlight through a sky filtered by wildfire smoke. I compensated for this by eliminating the sky. The tea brown color is tannins in the river that come from decaying vegetation.

Creative direction

See above

Specific Feedback

all of the above

Technical Details

Description

During our daughter’s visit, we made a day trip to Jay Cooke State Park just south of Duluth, Minnesota. The St. Louis River is a main attraction of the park. Because we could only stay for a couple of hours, shooting in mid-day could not be avoided.

Hi Larry;

I love when tannins appear in a running river/ stream. The brown/ red color is always a surprise and can add interest to your shot. You stated that the goal was to show the “force of the raging river,” and the shorter exposure accomplished that. It’s interesting that in bright sunlight (you can see the streaks in the tannin colored water), nothing is blown out. The various textures are of particular interest. If you think of it, always bracket with shutter speed, as each image will be very different.
Cool and different image!

Thanks for critiquing my image, Tony. How nice to see you had no nits. Yes, bracketing shutter speed is critical for shooting at slow shutter speeds. I am getting into practicing with my 8 stop variable ND filter where bracketing will be essential. Thanks, again.

You’re very welcome, Larry! But…what is a “nit.”

Tony, You drove me to the Oxford dictionary for an answer. I used it to mean bugs or problems with the image. This may over slangy (I taught high school English a hundred years ago.) After all, the dictionary defines nit as "the egg or young form of a louse or parasitic insect.”

Let’s drop the “nits” and just have fun making images. Thanks again. I hope we’ll have other chances to connect on NPN.Larry