Ready for a Rest

Oh I feel your pain. Overloading the main color channels can happen easily. What I’ve done is switch to a standard or neutral RAW camera style instead of Landscape or Vivid - this is in camera. If you’ve already got maximum density, you can try a Linear Profile if you use Lightroom. What this does is start you with the flattest, least saturated or contrasty version of your RAW file as possible. Adobe profiles most all add those two things and can compound problems in a photo that is clipping colors or close to it.

You will need to install a Linear Profile as a plugin to Lr and you can get one from Tony Kuyper’s website - https://goodlight.us/linear-profiles.html - if you don’t see your camera, email him and he’ll make one for you. He did for me and I use one when I know my luminosities or colors are close to being overloaded. You will get a VERY low contrast image when you use one, but then just hit the sliders a little harder to make it what you want.

In terms of getting more DOF I can offer two things - a long telephoto might do it because it will naturally compress the DOF and make things seem closer together than other lenses. The second is focus stacking. This takes a whole lot more field skill and post processing technique, but can give fantastic results and a shot like this deserves it for sure. Great catch.

Here’s a link to a discussion here on NPN about focus stacking -

1 Like