Rough-legged Takeoff

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This a shot I got of a rough-legged hawk taking off

Specific Feedback

Cropping? and I’d like to make it appear with a truly blue sky, and warmer subject tones but can’t seem to make it happen. I’m saving it as sRGB in photoshop. What do I need to do?

Technical Details

D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, hand held, 1/3200th, f 8.0, 700mm, ISO 450, cropped to 38890 x 2448

Dave: I don’t use PS for exporting since I find LR to be so much easier, but I downloaded your image and when I opened it in PS, I got this message:

Screenshot 2023-12-10 132108

Somehow when you are saving or exporting your image from PS you aren’t getting the SRGB color space embedded, so it doesn’t look right in a browser. I know others export directly from PS so hopefully they’ll chime in.

The shot of the hawk is great and when I opened it in PS the colors looked good. I’d probably go for a slightly looser composition, but that’s strictly personal taste. A fine shot.

Beautiful look at the hawk. Works well against the blue sky.

As for exporting in PS, my routine is to use CMD-OPT-SHFT-W, which gives the following screen:

Here, you can size the image and check the box to export as sRGB.

Looks like @Allen_Brooks has the solution, Dave. If you’re on a PC it’s CTRL-ALT-Shift-W. A bit awkward at first, but not too bad.

The critical boxes on this are down in the lower right corner. It looks like the default is what you want.

Screenshot 2023-12-10 155806

I did this on this shot on my mac version of photoshop and made sure that the “convert to sRBG” box was checked. Hmmm. Also, I cannot find anything in LR or photoshop that looks like the box that Allen is talking about. Kinda lost here.

Dave, you can reach this box, also, by file>export>export as.

Allen- I just tried this and the sky looks blue. Thank you sooo much

2 Likes

That looks like it did the trick, Dave. Make sure you write that process down and paste it on your monitor!

Repost looks good Dave. A fine pose of this regal bird. Nice in flight catch.

Hey, thanks so much for you guy’s kind assistance.