Roused

Spring is getting here in fits and starts. It might be in the 50s tomorrow, but lately it’s been below freezing overnight and we’ve had wintry mix precipitation as well. Maybe we’ll see the 70s over the weekend.

While out photographing lichen I spied the first couple of trout lily blooming in the yard. They blanket the area in the neighborhood and beyond. They are a true ephemeral meaning that they bloom before trees leaf out and their leaves disappear entirely when they’re finished blooming. This is the yellow variation, but they also come in white. I’ve never seen the white ones as I think they’re down in the southern part of the state.

There aren’t too many ways to shoot these guys and isolating one in the woods is really tough, so when I saw this one against a big rock, I knew it would be a cleaner shot than most.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is welcome. The rest of them will bloom in the next 7-10 days and so I can always shoot more!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
Legacy Olympus 90mm f/2 macro
f/4 | 1/1000 sec | ISO 320
Tripod
Sun filtered through light clouds - my favorite forest floor light

Lr processed for a little white balance, clarity & texture, white & black point adjustment. Used the brush to manage highlights and shadows in the flower itself and to bring up exposure on the stamen. Oh and a little burning in of light bits in the bg.

@the.wire.smith
2 Likes

A terrific native wildflower, found here in Oklahoma, as well. Nicely captured, Kris. Did you lie down to get this interesting angle?

Thanks Terry.

No lying down for me. The G9 has a flip out panel in back. It swivels and tilts -

I used my tripod for this one (no center column), but I’ve also used a homemade beanbag to get even lower. It’s a small freezer ziplock with 2 bags of barley inside. Total cost $1.50! lol

1 Like

Beautiful shot, Kris. Nice composition. Spotted green leaves set off the yellow flower. What about deleting the dark parts on the right side? In Japan it’s rose-colored and called “spring ephemeral” because it blooms in early spring, and very popular. I also use a flip out panel and a beanbag quite often for low-angle shots.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time @Nao_Koju - I like it with the dark bits softened. It matches the feel of the image better than my original. You have a great feel for flower photography. I’m always amazed at the variation with wildflowers around the world and yet how tied to a common ancestor they are.

As said, these are hard to find and when you do they rarely have clean surroundings. Your composition is spot on and it has a great background.