Scottish Glen

Hi everyone. I had a visit to Scotland recently with work and this Glen (like a gorge I guess) came highly recommended for photography.

I’d love some feedback. There was no light as such that day so the area had a dingy feel to it. Composition wise I’d like to have had more room for the foreground waterfall but there was lots of debris just out of shot that made this impossible.

Feedback on composition and post would be great. I’ve used a focal length blend to produce the final image.

Cheers
Chris

Lovely shot Chris, I like the composition, the greens are spot on and I like the overall dark fairy tale mood of the image. It does appear that the foreground is slightly less sharp and a bit more noisy than the rest of the image. Perhaps from enlarging it?

1 Like

Chris,

Compositionally, this is a bit out of the box and the set up somewhat different/unique. The strength is the close up view of the water cascading over the rock - coming right at you. I like the waterfall in the back feeding the comp and there’s enough interest in the green growth on the wall - although it’s creating a bit of negative space. I appreciate your info about the surround debris and think you made t he best composition possible. The presence of the cascading water up front works well.

I agree with Blake, there’s some oddity in the water; I see it more as grain than noise - As if this were a color neg film at iso 1600 or something. The grain shows also part way up the waterfall, but not all the way. Have no idea what brought that on. It’s cool for effect in the water, but not sure what the intention was or the tecnicals in capture and processing. Also, the greens are a bit soft on the back wall as well.

Be curious to learn more about the raw capture; you mention bad light, so can I assume you had to jack up the iso? Just curious.

Lon

1 Like

Thanks guys, yes I did have to crank it up. Off the top of my head I think it went to 1250 for some of the exposures although not sure what it was for the one I used. Somewhere between 800 and 1250.

I’ve added a load of noise reduction in lightroom, is it worth adding more or would it just soften the image?

Every time I look at it I feel that the comp is too tight at the front :weary:

I love this composition, Chris. I think it’s perfect, not too tight and not too lose. I really like that “tongue” in the foreground and how it jumps at me as soon as I see the image. I also think the green is spot on. The image quality, unfortunately, is not quite there. Since I shoot wildlife as well, I shoot at high ISO on a regular basis and this is unexpected at ISO 1250. I have a hunch that this is a case of oversharpening. With noise, you will still see areas in focus even though it could be a little grainy. This is not the case in this image, it looks very soft to me. Would you share the image without NR/sharpening applied?

1 Like

You may be right. I did add some sharpening to the foreground. I’ll go back and remove it to see the results.

Thanks for that
Chris