Shadow Dancers

What makes this image expressive?

Knowing how much I like to photograph the seashore a fellow photography friend told me about some branches that had washed up on the beach and how he thought they would make an interesting subject. We went to the location the next day and I found this interesting group that tapered off towards the right. I had my filters with me and I thought it would be fun to see if I could go down low enough and take a long exposure to make the water look like the sky. The waves were quite busy and I was hoping that they wouldn’t come over the ridge. I managed to get a couple shots off before they surged over. I was feeling creative and excited while taking this shot, but I usually feel that way whenever I get a chance to play with nature.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments are welcome.

6 Likes

I looked at this one a long time before I read your comments and I was surprised that it wasn’t the sky, so well done with that illusion.

My first impressions of this scene are an other-worldly landscape, somewhat surreal and abstract. The trees are striking and ordered, but the water is such a beautifully atmospheric element. There is a hierarchy of light in this frame and I want to be led by the airiness of the scene.

With that in mind, I wonder if the image needs so much foreground?

When we think of airiness, atmospheric and heavenly, are we thinking of ground or sky?

By eliminating a chunk of heavy foreground I feel the image is elevated further into atmospheric. How much sand do we need to tell that story?

I really love this images it is beautiful and abstract, clever and imaginative. Hopefully my feedback helps you feel that relationship with what you want to convey.

Thanks for the helpful feedback Alister. Enjoy your Youtube channel.