Skinny Dip in the Rain + Repost

We’ve had a lot of rain here in the southeast…I was off Friday and it rained most of the day so I took the time to process this rainy waterfall shot from the springtime. This is SkinnyDip falls - an easily accessible waterfalls from the Blue Ridge Parkway. It’s a favorite of mine and the large pool between the two cascades is very inviting. I’m interested in whether this image flows well, and how you see the eyes travel within the frame. I have an intended primary and secondary “flow”, and it’s why I enjoyed processing it, but am interested in your perspective. Please feel free to be open/honest and thanks for your time!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

D850; 24-70 @ 27mm, f/13 focus stacked 3 images and blended a different exposure for the water (1/3 sec) vs. 5 seconds for the other shots…it was pretty dark that day.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Jim, JMHO. I love a lot about this image and am not too crazy about one thing. The subject matter, the water flow through the channel in the FG rocks, the deep saturated colors, the fact you shot after a rain which gives the rocks a nice look, the processing are the good things. My objection is the perspective from which you shot. I feel the large rock on the left impedes the visual flow, makes the image a little left heavy and blocks part of the waterfall from view. Maybe just a little move to the right might have helped?

Jim, there is a lot to like about this image, and @Michael_Lowe mentioned most of the things that I also like. I think I see what you you mean by having a primary and secondary flow. For me, the primary is the channel of the water on the right, and the secondary is the rocks on the left.

My biggest issue is the blob of very bright water in the LLC has so much visual weight that it impedes the flow, especially along the rocks. I would burn down the LLC whitewater, and even the rocks along the left edge. I would also clone away the tree in the ULC (nitpicky I know). Here is a rework with my suggestions, as well as showing how I see the two flows.

Thanks you two…I agree with you both. @Michael_Lowe - while the large rock was supposed to be supportive in the composition, it wasn’t really. I have added a shot from farther to the right as you suggested, done back in 2011 from the pool without a foreground cascade. Be interested in your thoughts on this one.

@Ed_McGuirk - thanks as always for your perspective. I agree that the foreground cascade possesses an overpowering amount of visual weight which, coupled with Michaels comments will have me forego this image as a keeper. Sure was fun to work on though with the visual flow game!

I like it. The green reflected in the water is really nice and the FG water is a nice v shape pointing toward the falls. Do those Rhodies ever bloom? That would be a nice shot to try.

Hi Jim,

Interesting take on this location. I was actually just there on my trip in late July. I have to admit that this is a location where I have struggled to come away with a composition that I was happy with. When I was there in July I noticed that there was a big rock slide that had occured since my last visit a few years ago and it completely changed the character of the upper portion of the falls once you cross the bridge in the photo. I didn’t see opportunities for a photo when I was there.

I have to admit that I hadn’t considered a composition from downstream like this. I like the idea of what you have going here. I do agree with Michael’s comment about the rock on the left and how it interrupts the visual flow a little. Maybe a slightly elevated perspective would correct that as it would give it less visual weight in the composition. For my own photos I generally try to avoid man-made elements, but it doesn’t detract from your image here. It’s really more of a personal preference for me.

1 Like

Rhododendrons in the deep forest are typically Rosebay (white flowers) and they do bloom from time to time. I think you’re right…while I struggle with white flowers around whitewater, I’m sure this would be pretty awesome.

Hi, Jim, I’ll leave the technical reviews to others more qualified than I, and who have already done a great job.
I usually “judge” a photo like this on one factor: Does it make me want to go there? In both instances, it does. Beautiful scene and nice snaps.

1 Like