Smoky Mountain Stream III

Another one from the Smokies. In this scene I mainly like the small cascades in the middle right of the image and the movement to the larger flows below. Thanks to all who have given me tips and encouragement on these landscape shots. I am learning a lot.

Canon 40D, 17-55mm EFS
ISO 100, 4/5s, f10

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Looks good. The diagonal comp definitely works and the colors look right. My only though would be to add a vignette to focus the viewer’s attention more on the flowing water.

Allen, this is a classic Smokies scene, you gotta love the moss on those rocks. I like your processing of color, the green are lush and natural looking without being over-saturated. The diagonal flow of the stream, and the series of small cascades creates a nice sense of depth. Overall, this is very pleasing image, well seen and executed.

This gets into subjective personal taste, but in terms of color, while I like the greens that you have in the moss and other vegetation, i think the natural reflected light here added a green color cast to the whites in the water. I would prefer to see a more neutral or cooler white in the water, while leaving the rest of the scene unchanged.

Allen,

I think this is the best processed and my favorite of the series (so far?) A wonderful composition with the diagonal flow of the river, with the rock and cascades. The surrounding forest is rendered quite naturally.

I actually don’t have any nits or suggestions. Quite lovely as presented.

Lon

This is nicely done, Allen. The flow from the stream leads my eye through the image and the background trees compliment the scene nicely. You have managed the busyness of the scene well.

I like the scene and very typical of the Smokies. I like the shutter speed which seems just right for the flow of water. My only suggestion would be to crop some off the top and make it more of a pano and put the focus more on the water. Just personal preference.