Snow and Light

A curve that caught my attention amongst a snowy slope.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

The shallow depth of field was intentional here to highlight the middle slope. This was shot at f5 at 400mm. Too shallow for your tastes?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

I like it a lot Nathan, but it really stirs my curiosity about a black and white version. There is some subtle toning in the shadows that could be lifted up a little, further complementing that great lighted crest.

I like this one Nathan, I think it communicates a strong feeling of purity and simplicity. I think the use of selective focus and shallow depth field is very effective at enhancing this sense of simplicity, it works for me. The arrangement of the three ridgelines is nicely balanced and well handled. Overall this is a very pleasing abstract image, nicely done.

This is a way cool scene, Nathan. I think your choice with the shallow DOF works perfectly as does the cool tones in this winter abstract. This is a perfect example of less is more as you have simplified the image down to the basics with some lovely diagonal lines and shades of blue. Very original; I love it!

Nathan,

OH MY! Not sure I can come up with any words to express how impressive this is. I can tell you, that for me, this has gotta be in the top 5 of the best images I recall on NPN 2.0. I guess that’s the best I can say for now. :+1::+1::+1:

B&W would certainly make a statement - However, it’s the cool tones that really make this more than just lines and graphics. You know what? You could convert this from snow to sand simply by changing to a warmer color balance! But I guess you should just probably keep this exactly as it is. Well, ok, I did find a few things. You might open up your original to at least 50% and clone out a few faint imperfections. One, just above and left of center. There’s also a spec on the right and dust bunny LR.

I LOVE the detail on the wishbone end of the main ridge.

This image just has me in awe. Kudos and Congrats!

Lon

This one is working quite well for me. It is a creative and unique presentation and has really nice simplicity and elegance. Quite nice.

@Hank_Pennington @Ed_McGuirk @Ed_Lowe @Lon_Overacker @Harley_Goldman Thank you for your input on this image. It’s great to get feedback on abstract work as sometimes I think that abstracts are good for an audience of one - the photographer. It’s good to understand how others internet the perspective.

@Lon_Overacker Thanks for your kind words. I’m glad you enjoy the image. I like your idea of cloning out the imperfections and trying a B&W version. I didn’t even think of B&W. I’ll post a revision for comparison soon.

I’m looking forward to a b/w version as well. It works as is, with cool tones befitting the setting, but I think black and white will be more dramatic.
ML

Hello Nathan, this is a very beautiful scene. I really like that you used a shallow depth of field because it adds to the soothing feeling that I get when looking at this image. Also the composition feels balanced, this is great!