Spring Snow Surprise

We had the last storm of the season, I’m sure, here at Bend, Oregon. I rushed up to Todd Lake because it was still iced over. I fell in love with this cute little guy as soon as I saw him.
Braving the cold weather. He was so courageous.

I took two images of this scene, one a closer than the other. Which do you think is better? Do the branches hanging from the top corner do much damage to the composition in the 2nd image (there’s to much to remove), or do they add to it?

I like both images Igor. The zoomed out version give a better sense of scale, however the zoomed in a more intimate, at least for me. I can certainly see why you were anxious to get to the lake before summer sets in. Wonderful photos.

1 Like

Since you were taken with the little tree, I think the first one better shows its character. The colors are lovely.

The second one is less compelling for me. The branches in the ULC do make the frame a bit heavy on that side. Maybe a tighter crop on the second one, 1:1 or 4:5 on the left, would have better balance.

1 Like

Even though I enjoy the snowy expanse in the BG but the branches on the ULC of the second one rather kills it for me. I think the first one is a winner because of that. Maybe a touch more room at the bottom for that reflection touching the bottom edge of the image?

1 Like

I prefer the first one for the reasons that others have mentioned already. A fine image.
I support the suggeston of @Adhika_Lie for a little more room at the bottom.

I also prefer the first image for it’s simplicity, and because the ULC branches in the second image are too much of a distraction, and compete too much with the snowy tree.

With that said, what I like about the second image is the relationship of the little tree to the snowy forest on the opposite shore. It’s almost like the foreground side of the lake is starting to transition to spring, but the far shore is still stuck in deep winter. I just wish that you had gotten down lower and found a way to compose this without the ULC branches.

What is the elevation of this lake that you still have this much snow in June? And is there a forest service road to access the lake, or did you have to hike in?

The elevation is just over 6000 feet. It’s the last lake in the Cascade Loop to lose it’s snow. By the time the highway opens up all the lakes are ice free except this one. I’ve taken quite a few images around the lake over the years. It’s sort of a goto lake for me because it’s so close and doesn’t require a lot of difficult hiking. Max Vaughn’s book gives 3 stars I believe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Lake_(Oregon)

The first image is lovely. Very well done. The second, less so for me. The branches do detract.

I prefer the first image as you haven’t given us all the information and it leave the viewer to interpret the rest of the scene. The fog adds to the mystery for me.

I personally would remove some of the texture from the ice in the first image and go for a more hazy ethereal feel.

Igor, the first image is to me an exquisite visual haiku. I see your courageous little guy reflecting on the seasons behind and ahead with its reflections and those of the far forest emphasizing that theme. I could do without the bright patch to the left of the lodgepole trunk. I wonder if the brightness extending toward the right edge could be dampened a little, as it tends to draw my away, but it implies something beyond … like the growing season.

Igor, I prefer the first one. Simple composition that speaks more to me than the second one

Of the two scenes presented, I definitely prefer the first. I think it works very nicely while the second scene just adds some confusion to the scene. I think another composition that includes the water and BG snowy trees would be nice, but not a necessity.

Igor,

I must go with the majority in that the first, more intimate image is my preferred choice. Granted, I do like the bg snowy-forest and the relationship that is drawn with the little tree upfront. Also enjoy the texture in the partially frozen lake.

Colors and processing look great on both.

If I’m to be honest, I have to say that neither of these I think measure up to your excellent standards of carefully crafted and thoughtful compositions. The second, broader view - All that comes to mind is “border patrol” and/or were those bows intentional and if so, why?

The first image does work pretty well, especially with the “textured reflection” on the water. I also kinda like the small reflecting pool. The LRC with the couple of straw grasses pointing out of the frame are mildly distracting.

Did you happen to shoot just the textured water and far shore with snowy trees? I’m thinking maybe something possible in there? But then, I wasn’t there.

Snow in June eh? Probably be a 100 next week… :roll_eyes:

Lon

I actually rather like this image. I guess now I’ll have to reconsider that. Rock images come easier to me because I live half of the year in Baja and you get accustomed to evaluating them. On this snowy day it was my intention to shoot abstracts of ice and water across the lake but the water was so high there was little access from shore. I would only see glimpses through the branches and had no way to make my way down to the bank. Here are the other 2 shots which are even more pedestrian:

1 Like

Hey Igor - you wouldn’t really reconsider whether you liked your own image more or less based on someone else’s opinion?

You might consider the second set to be “pedestrian,” but I prefer these image. Maybe too cliche, but they’re clean comps and enjoyable to view.

I rarely have any technical critiques or suggestions to offer on your work - so it’s left to personal preferences and impressions. And we know we are all different. And all is good.

Yes, I do reconsider things after comments. That’s partly because I’m never really confidant what I like and what I don’t. And that’s likely because I get emotionally invested in my work and lose any sense of objectivity.

Take a look at this image: https://community.naturephotographers.network/t/the-embrace/8141 A year ago I liked it and now it pains me to even look at it. Clearly a 2nd rate image.

Regarding the other images. I have a way I go about shooting that involves emotional connectivity. Those images were created based upon what I thought would look good, not how I felt about them.

Fair enough Igor! …

This may have been partly due to you going there with the preconceived objective of shooting ice and water abstracts, and then not being able to do it. Once you knew it wasn’t possible, it can be harder to connect with other things there. It’s becomes easy to just start shooting " pedestrian" images because you feel like you need to justify the time invested in the trip. Even though I know it’s something that I should avoid doing, it happens to me more than I would like.

You make a lot of sense. I did finally make an emotional connection which resulted in the image posted. Initially, as you say, I looked for compositions which I came to see. Then there was a period of readjustment where I looked for other compositions that were generally good but I wasn’t really invested in them. And then came what I posted which did affect me. This is generally a process I go through during shoots and feel comfortable with. I don’t feel frustration because I know it’s coming if I just stay with it and continue seeing. I’m actually writing an article on this subject.

Wow, these two extra images are excellent. I like the horz image more than the vert, but both are beautiful, and I actually prefer both of them over either of the original posts. The horz. image has so much to view, and for someone from Florida, I just love the snow and coldness of the scene. The vert image has a very strong composition but lacks the snow of the horz. Like Lon, I also find it somewhat odd that you would change your perception of an image based on someone’s opinion. IMHO, you have one of the best eyes for composition/image quality of anyone I know. I always value your opinion/comments on my images very much because of your attention to detail and your critical eye. I looked back at the image you posted a year ago, and I still like it. I agree that we all need to second guess ourselves and listen to other’s opinions as to possible improvements, but I don’t think I would allow someone else’s opinion to change whether I liked something or not, but I guess that’s just me.