Standing against the snow

It was late afternoon and we had just finished with snow that morning and it was expected the snow would start up again later that night.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all comments welcome

Technical Details

Canon 5DM4 ISO 100 16 mm 1/125 sec f/14

2 Likes

John, I like the impact of this shapely tree . There is a beauty and mystery about the image . The bright foreground snow and darker ominous sky work great too. Nice comp. Two suggestions to consider: might you crop out the tree on the right without messing up the balance in the photo. Perhaps content aware fill could do the job too. The other thought is to get the snow on the tree to pop a bit more. Thinking out loud here - maybe a color range mask in LRc clicking on the snow in the branches and then bumping up the whites or whites triple play in the TK8 panel. Wonderful image.

1 Like

Thanks Larry. I like your suggestions. I tried using a luminosity mask in PS to bump up the snow on the branches but I had trouble separating the snow from the sky and my efforts to lighten the snow also lightened the sky

Hey John! You might try using a color range luminosity mask for the snow/sky contrast. Not sure if that would work but you could give it a shot. If not, you could always manually paint the mask in to pin point exactly where you wanted the effect. As far as the photo, I really like the mood of it all. I second what Larry said about the crop. Although it’s not really distracting, removing that smaller tree would make the comp cleaner. Nicely done!

1 Like

David. Thanks for that suggestion. I’ll give it a try. I did get rid of the tree on the right and I agree it’s a better composition.
Thanks

Agree with the others that this is a strong comp and I would recommend cloning out the tree on the right. The main tree could use some bump in contrast to increase the whites, but do be careful. I see some halos around the branches from luminosity mask you’ve already applied.

I think @David_Johnston’s suggestion to do some careful brushing/painting while tedious, would help a lot.

1 Like

Based on the suggestions you have provided meI went back and redid my luminosity masking to try and decrease any haloing , darkened the sky a bit, to try and create some differentiation from the tree snow, and cloned out the tree. I am much happier with this image now. Do you guys agree?

2 Likes

I just wanted to say that I really like this and the repost makes for an even stronger image!

1 Like

Nicely done!! I liked the original, and that tree didn’t really bother me. But, I do like this repost. Simple but effective image. I really like the shadow. For me, it really adds to the overall effect.

1 Like

I really like the rework on this image, John. I agree that the tree on the right needed to go and I would go a step further and possibly dodge the really dark background hill so it doesn’t pull the eye quite so much as it’s on an angle. I love that there are still some reddish leaves still attached to the tree but really, it’s the shape and structure of the tree branches that make this image sing to me. I also really love the atmosphere that the clouds and the haze/fog in the background are providing. I think the background stand of trees is important in this image as well. Nice image!

1 Like

David Thanks for the suggestion about lightening the hill on the right. That really helped the image

1 Like

Nicely done on the rework; a strong composition with a darker, moody feel.

1 Like

Really well done on doing the re-edit tastefully. Strong image and even stronger now!