Standing Out + Alt Image

I rarely have a chance to go out when there’s a nice heavy frost, but a couple of years ago I had an opportunity. I hadn’t tried focus stacking yet, so unfortunately, I don’t have a stack and didn’t even have a tripod with me. I was still pleased with a first attempt, but I’m looking forward to trying again sometime with a macro lens and a focus stack.

Specific Feedback Requested

any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 100, 20mm f/2.8, 1/800 of sec. This was probably shot in aperture priority. Sony A7C with the 20mm Sony prime.

1 Like

Backlighting is hard to pull off, but it works here. Very pleasing. I like that you’ve included a lot of the stem lower down - the repeating pattern of the curling leaves is interesting even though OOF. You could consider toning down the sky as it’s pretty eye catching, but with backlight that’s expected. A lovely find.

This is one where a very shallow DOF works for me, as the OOF parts have pleasing patterns (both the leaves and the BG) and nicd tonalities. Toning down the sky a bit could be good idea, as @_Kris suggested.

Karla, the frosty plant stands out well and has a good amount of frost. I see lots of potential here. A tighter look at the top half of the plant, a higher point-of-view to elimiate the sky or some burning-in of the sky and the brightest bits behind the subject. Yes, this would make a fine stacking subject if you want more depth-of-field…as I said, lots of potential.

@_Kris @Diane_Miller - Thanks to each of you for your comments. I really like backlighting, but I don’t know much about doing it successfully. I should do a bit more learning and experimenting. One thing I always wonder is if I should darken down or go the high key route. I appreciate your input that the OOF areas seem to work in this situation.
@Mark_Seaver - Thanks for your comments as well. I do have another view where I eliminated the sky. I think it might be similar to what you describe as an alternate view. If so, I’ll add it to this post.

@Mark_Seaver - Here’s the alternate view that I have processed. I think I did some editing to darken the lower left corner that I had found distracting, and so I don’t know why I didn’t get rid of that really bright and distracting bokeh ball! This still is an image of the entire plant, but it’s more from above and eliminates the sky.