Steam in Ketchikan

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A Steam with rapids that runs through the center of Ketchikan, AK. A boardwalk has been built along the stream which provides the viewer with this beautiful scene.

Specific Feedback

Overall appeal and composition.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7ii with Nikkor Z 24-70 f/4S lens
1/1250 sec @ f/8.0
ISO 1600
55mm
Aperture priority

1 Like

Ray,

Wonderful image of the flowing river and surrounding vegetation. I especially like the gentle curve and how gracefully the river flows through the scene (although graceful might not come to mind if you’re standing there listening to the roar of the rushing water…!)

You’ve got just enough rock and vegetation on the left side to help frame and contain the rushing river. The color/sat/contrast all look great.

Now this is 100% a matter of personal choice. Many folks don’t like the silky water and there is every conceivable variation from frozen fast shutter speeds to ghostly, texture-less silky water from a very long exposure - and everything in between. I think freezing the motion of the water works very well here and this comes across as a very real and natural scene. Personally, I like something a little slower where the frozen action creates more flowing texture… but that’s just me. I’m betting you experimented with different SS and this was your favorite?

Beautiful image, including your chosen shutter speed.

Lon

Yes, I did try different shutter speeds and this was my favorite. Others looked muddy to me although I do enjoy the silky smoothness of a slower shutter speed. Without a tripod the results were not good. Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

As Lon says - shutter speeds to express one’s emotions is purely a matter of choice - and I do like this one

Out of curiosity - if you have slower shutter speeds, how would they look as a blend - try 2 one over the other in Luminosity Blend mode - I dont know how this will turn - but it will look different and, have a different feeling

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried blending but unfortunately it looked muddy to me. I even tried the blend at various opacities, but it did not enhance the results, in my opinion. It was an interesting experiment. I will try it in the future on other water related images.