Still high and dry

A century old fencepost caught my eye as I was leaving the pictograms and petroglyphs at the Palatki Heritage site. The Native Americans who lived here didn’t erect this fence, but an intrepid farmer did in the early 20th century, well after the Sinagua people moved on. Because it is more than 50 years old, the Heritage caretakers can’t touch it (or any of the newer graffiti) so it stays.

Specific Feedback Requested

Processing improvements welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld

Lr processed for added exposure because I goofed & a little crop to 4:5, a Subject mask to isolate the post from the background and put some clarity/texture in the post and to lessen it in the background. A linear gradient to even out background tonalities. Negative vibrance, slightly positive saturation. A bit of sharpening.

@the.wire.smith
2 Likes

Very nice catch! And excellent job of separating the post from the BG.

I haven’t gotten that far except for the first cull, but sure I didn’t see this.

Thanks @Diane_Miller - this is part of why it took me relatively longer to dawdle my way down to you by the visitor’s center. I wish I could have stayed at both sites longer, but I understand the limitations given the guided tour nature of the place.

This tells a very strong story, Kris. I love the simplicity and the power. Really excellent work here.

Thanks @David_Bostock - I’m glad my dawdling paid off. I really love old fences and should do more - we have plenty up this way!

In places like this I’ve been known to go in with one group and leave with the next…

I like your strategy, Diane!