Sunstars!

Hey all! First time posting! Happy to see NPN back in action!

So - I’d love any CC on this image! Mainly though is getting quality Sunstars! I’m shooting a Nikon 14-24 and still end up getting”messy” stars (so jealous of the Canon 16-35). I’ve tried numerous f-stops. Any tips?

Nikon d850
Nikon 14-24 @ 14
F/11 for main image, f16 for sunstar

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

Jordan, welcome to NPN and a beautiful first post! Have you tried F24 or higher for improving your sunstar? I have found some of my lenses are just not as effective at sunspots, others here at NPN probably will be able address the technical reason.

1 Like

Yeah - well I’ve gone as high as f22 with this particular lens and feel the diffraction that occurs makes it too soft.

Nikon guy here so if that helps :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jordan, I shoot Nikon as well (D7500) and my 16-80mm 2.8-4.0 DX does a decent job compared to my 10-24mm 3.5-4.5 DX that does not do as well on sunstars.

Nice image of the famous tree…
The Nikon 20mm f1.8 is really good for sunstars, you hardly have to try.

2 Likes

Yeah - I considered that lens, but I love UWA…

Terrific image, @Jordan_Inglee. I love the sunstar. I would desaturate just a little bit but of course it’s a matter of taste.

1 Like

Nicely done Jordan. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think your sunstar looks great, Jordan. There’s a strong fairy tale/magical feeling here with all of the dramatic colors and twisty shapes. Reducing the saturation would be interesting for comparison, but it would likely reduce the magical feeling.

2 Likes

Thank you! Yeah I feel like I was tiptoeing a fine line here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks Gary! I appreciate that!

1 Like

Excellent take on this tree with your first post. The sunstar looks good to my eye. I don’t generally do them, so I cannot help on the technicals. Welcome aboard and looking forward to seeing more of your work and your commentary.

1 Like

try sigma 14mm 1.8. great shot.

1 Like

Great photo. I don’t see an issue with this sun star. In which situations do you find your sun stars to be messy?

1 Like

Nice concept for this image, and very well executed. The composition is great, I like the foreground elements in front of the tree, they add some depth to the image. The processing of tree looks really well done.

As you know, the shape of the sunstar is mostly determined by the design of your lens. I shoot Canon, with the 16-35mm f4 lens, and my sunstars come out more uniform and distinct looking than the one you have here. With that said, the shape of the sunstar can be affected by where you stand, and how much of the sun is peeking around the tree. Very minor changes in the position of your camera can produce big differences in the shape of your sunstar. Or it might be time to buy a Canon lens adaptor :thinking:

1 Like

Thank you for the CC.

Sadly the only Canon lens adapter for the Nikon is a Canon body lol…

Ahh just it’s overall sharpness especially compared to the Canon lenses.

1 Like

The colors, lighting and the scene overall are fantastic. Love the composition and processing looks spot on to me ; a good amount of color pop without being pushed too far. I might selectively tone down some of the greens a bit as well as the orange bush to the immediate right. The main tree subject is perfect.
I understand what you are saying about the SunStar

For me too many points, it doesn’t look bad but given how incredible the photo is I am not sure it is providing any added value here.
I can honestly say I would be more likely to want to print it big and frame it without the sunstar ; it draws my eye too much which works at small size on screen but think would bother me big.

In general some lens just don’t produce as nice a sunstar as others, the amount of blades I believe is the deciding factor. Lens with even number of blades produce better sunstars but worse bokeh ; lens with odd number worse sunstars but better bokeh so each company needs to make a decision when making the lens.
I have a 10 straight bladed lens that has pin point 10 point stars even when shot at F4 (Loxia line from Zeiss made for Sony); so stopping down while can help some lens is not an answer for all lens.
Your Nikon lens has 9 rounded blades so that is why it creates the sunstar as it does regardless of F stop.

2 Likes

Welcome to NPN Jordan, a beautiful first post!

A wonderful take on this classic tree. The sunstar adds a different and not so often seen element. I think you handled that well. I think the color/sat is appropriate for the scene and of course subjective and person. I really like the bed of greens and the scattering of fallen leaves.

Beautiful imagery and welcome aboard!

Lon

1 Like

@Jordan_Inglee - Go back and shoot this with a nice wide angle prime lens like a 20mm f/2.8. You’ll get nice, neat, spiky stars. :wink: