The photographer is looking for thoughtful feedback on the image as a whole, especially around the areas noted below.
Feedback Focus: Artistic / Expressive
About This Image
We were in the Pantanal in Brazil on the Tres Irmaos River when we saw this jaguar entering the water to hunt. When he locked eyes with us you definitely felt sympathetic for any capybaras or caimans that were on the menu.
Feedback Requested
I would appreciate any thoughts and advice on the general composition and anything I could do to make the photo better. Thanks
Technical Details
Canon 7Dm2
EF 100-400
ISO 1250 400mm. f6.3. 1/2000
Timothy, the title says it all. The stare is compelling. This view works well with the Jaguar’s head centered as the body shows well. The moving water has good reflections, whose abstract nature sets off the Jaguar and the plants on the bank well.
Great inage @timothy3 ! The low angle has worked a treat to show off those eyes.
I will echo @JRajput comment on the brightness of the subject…and perhaps some of the waterplants behind.
There is a little cloning evidence on the water line @timothy3 . I only noticed because your waterline is not horizontal. It’s got a very slight tilt. Just my OCD settling. Nothing too much to worry about. It’s a lovely image and worth the effort.
What timing and a very good capture Timothy. As much as the cat is the star, I spend a lot of time looking at the foliage. I think taking down the brightness of those, as has been suggested, would help that. Its not like the foliage takes the shot out of the extraordinary for me, but I think it would help elevate it.
You said its not much of a crop, so I don’t know if you can try this or even want to, but I was wondering what moving the cat to the right and getting him off center would do.
Timothy - What a fantastic image and a great capture. it must have been very exciting at the time.
i’ve uploaded an alternative edit just as food for thought about another direction for the image. it’s a pretty radical departure and I haven’t done well on the edit - but you’ll get my drift. The face is the story here and the eyes have it is such a perfect title.