The Flow

This was one of those situations where I was focused on photographing the main falls up stream.
It was mid day and the light wasn’t helping the falls image. When I turned and saw this composition my mood improved considerably.

Specific Feedback Requested

I really like this image but i am not sure about the parallel tan lines in the water on the left side. I assume it is a log under the water that I didn’t notice. Keep or remove???

Technical Details

Canon 5DM4
ISO 100; 28mm; f/11; 2.5 sec

1 Like

Lovely scene. I like how the red leaves frame the moving water. Those two tan lines don’t bother me at all. Not sure how much processing you’re into, but you could cool them off so they match the cool tones of the other water and perhaps that would make them less bothersome to you. But again, I don’t find them disturbing.

Did you consider darkening the rocks at the top? The light rocks are competing with the water for my attention. I could see bringing down the lights in the upper rocks and bringing the lights up in the water (just a bit, though). I think this would bring the attention more to The Flow. Anyway, this is well composed and I applaud your seeing this.

What an interesting scene. It often pays off to turn around! I’m also not bothered by the tan lines. I echo what @Bonnie_Lampley had to say about the rocks at the top.

Well seen image John. I like the framing created by the rocks. The tan lines don’t bother me. As others have mentioned my eye drifts up to the bright section of rocks up top. Some burning there should help.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and suggestions. I did darken up the rock and I agree it looks much better.

John,

Great to see a post from you! I quite like this image. Well seen, c omposed and presented.

Those two lines don’t bother me at all either. But I do like Bonnie’s suggestion that if they are a bother to you, a simply color/hue change could mitigate that .

The contrast is a little high and the darks pretty black, but I think it’s par for the course with this scene and certainly within personal choice. I do like the details of both the leaves surrounding the stream and the details of the rock above; all with nice visual contrast with the motion/flow of the water. The whites in the water look especially good.

No other nits or suggestions. Thanks for sharing!

Lon

Thanks Lon. I appreciate the comments.