The ghost of a color

Indian pipe is my favorite wildflower and I can never resist photographing them. This is a very late arrival, but fresh and waiting pollination. Older brethren were right next to it and I am working on processing one of the seed pods left behind to overwinter. In the meantime though, here is this one coming up in some either dead or very dormant moss. It was on a small slope that makes up a larger incline right by the Wisconsin river.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any CC is welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Tripod and CPL
Multi-image stack using focus bracketing, probably +4 step and 0/+ method for a total of 10-15 images. I can’t remember how many I shot, but that’s the usual range.

Processed in Lr to manage the highlights and the shadows, clarity & texture and white balance. The moss was very dark brown and the flower varying shades of white and cream. Zerene for the stacking a some retouching.

@the.wire.smith
2 Likes

Excellent image of a new blossom, Kris. And I think the focus stacking is perfect. Nice!

Thanks, @David_Bostock - they aren’t lovely for many people. Only me.

Nice!

It is a late bloomer, and short. Are they always that short. Maybe it’s the day length and the plant decide that if it took time to get taller, it wouldn’t have time to bloom.

When I was teaching - 50+ years ago - I took a group of students on field trips with their parents on the weekends. I asked what they would name the plant, and being urban kids, it was “Street Light Plant”. Well, that made a lot of sense.

Namaste

Thanks Paul. I guess I can see the street light analogy, but it’s sad that people are that disconnected from nature. I’ve been out in the woods, sometimes deep woods, for the last 4 days running. I feel great and connected and so much more serene than if I don’t. I am so not an urban creature.

Insofar as the flower goes, it is short, but they can get fairly tall when they’ve been pollinated. I’ve seen them as high as 8 inches, but generally they’re about 6 inches. I think this one still had some growing to do and a visit from a friendly insect.

Kristen; These outings were to get urban families out in the woods and make them comfortable. The street light plant was them using their knowledge of the urban environment and apply it to nature. It was cool to see them building the bridges between the two. The urban environment is full on nature, from fossils in the limestone of the buildings to peregrine falcons nesting on ledges. I’m comfortable in both a city and deep woods and can find serenity in both. It’s all in learning to find the quiet places.

You’re right, Paul, I shouldn’t make such snap assessments or be so judgmental. Nature can be scary I suppose if you’re not used to it. People are so afraid of the unknown that making things more familiar is a good way to bridge.

1 Like