The Great Wave

The Great Wave is actually the one in the background. The wave in the foreground hit the cliff I was standing on and headed back out to sea. I shot this with a 70-200mm and I was originally looking for abstract images. I named this after The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai. My parents had an art book that I used to spend a lot of time getting lost in when I was boy and his painting always resonated with me.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m always looking for new ways to edit and present an image.
I appreciate any suggestions the community has that can improve what is currently there or take my edit in a different direction.

Technical Details

1/250 sec f/7.1 ISO 100 169mm

7 Likes

Definitely a great wave and it is evocative of the painting you talk about, albeit with less of a fantastic curl, but waves just won’t take direction. In terms of processing I’m not sure it needs anything. That’s usually my approach with editing - find what it needs and how I can give it that and make it say what I originally wanted it to say. With this one, did you want it to say overwhelming force? If so, I think you nailed it.

1 Like

Andre, this is a beautiful image that really makes me think. I love the juxtaposition of the smaller wave against a mammoth one acting as a backdrop - it reminds me of my dune image “Pure Magic”, which is similar but with sand.

The processing is really nice overall, I wouldn’t change a thing about the mood. My suggestions in that arena are all minor: perhaps slightly desaturate the cyans, not in the “triangle” of the small wave, but in that line below it that leads out of frame to the right. Just a bit too much attention being drawn that far down for me. I would also darken some of the brighter foamy spots in the lower-left. I would vignette the left side where that bright mist exits the frame. I would also consider cropping a bit off the left and top/bottom (keeping the square ratio) to better center the tiny wave, which is almost centered anyway but just slightly off.

Lastly, the tiny wave just barely touching the edge of the dark layer is a bit distracting to me, but it would require some care to achieve a fix in post - check out my crude example below. You’d need to basically clone more of the lighter background water and shift the edge of the dark water downward. Lighten blend mode on the clone brush would be helpful for achieving this on the left side behind the splashing droplets.

3 Likes

Wow Andre, what a powerful image! Alex already provided a great critique so I will only express how the image makes me feel. I feel awe at the power of water. You’ve photographed a wonderful scene!

2 Likes

Oh wow, Andre! I’ve seen different ocean wave scenes before, and it makes me want to go to the ocean and give it try, but this is really a beautifully powerful capture. I love how it makes me feel like I’m about to get pummeled by that crashing huge wave coming in. Nice work, I see you’re new here too, so welcome to NPN. Look forward to seeing more of your beautiful images!

1 Like

Whoa! That is spectacular. And ominous.

1 Like

Andre, this is a mind bending image. Wow, wow, wow. I can’t wrap my mind around the small and the big wave. An absolutely stunning image all the way around. Congratulations!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Kristen. My main concept was to have the focus be on the little wave at the front and then afterwards take notice of the “REAL” Great Wave in the background. A bit of misdirection, and then a surprise. Actually quite a few people asked me what was going on in the background. They never realised it was the Great Wave. I think that’s a function of the tight crop.

1 Like

Thanks Alex. All your suggestions were great. Just what I was looking for. I forgot that you can use the clone brush with different blend modes. Great to know for furfure edits :grin:

1 Like

Thanks for all the welcomes and feedback everyone. I’m looking forward to sharing and getting to know everyone a bit more.

1 Like

This awesome image certainly draws one in. If this is your introduction, I am very much looking forward to seeing more of your work. Welcome to NPN, Andre!

1 Like

On first viewing, I saw a “distant mountain” in the lower centre behind the small wave. Then the Great Wave hit me. Marvellous shot and welcome, Andre!

1 Like

I agree, it works so well. When I first saw this it definitely had the effect you were going for, with the big jaw drop hitting just a little after initially viewing it.

1 Like

That is one powerful wave! I like how there is a sense of mystery to the scale of the wave. It has the feeling that the sky is falling! This reminds me of the opening scene from the Chronicles of Narnia movie “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader”. If you haven’t seen that movie, there is a painting on the of a ship in a stormy sea on the wall which comes to life and starts flooding the room and opening the way into the mystical land of Narnia. The texture in the water reminds me of that scene. Hopefully it doesn’t flood my room, but it does lead me to a fantasy world of adventure!

2 Likes

Andre,

Can’t say much else other than this is one phenomenal image! It takes a moment to get one’s bearing with what’s happening, but once you realize, it becomes even more amazing.

Greath thoughts from Alex. I really don’t have anything technical to add so just repeat that this is just one fantastic image. Great drama and action of course - but also a mind-bender that keeps the viewer engaged and amazed.

Welcome aboard!

Lon

2 Likes

Congratulations on your Natural Landscape award. I thought I had seen the photo before. Very well deserved.

1 Like

Congratulations, @AndreDonawa on your inclusion in the NLPA awards!

1 Like

Congratulations @AndreDonawa for this image winning the Seascapes category in the Natural Landscape Photography Awards! Your work is very beautiful.

4 Likes

Hi Andre, really love the power of the wall in the background. The whole scene is so graphic, a real homage to Hokusai. It’s a great shot. Congratulations on your win!

1 Like

Congratulations, Andre for your NLPA win. All has already been said and the only thing I can add is to dodge the ULC so it’s not so dark. Beautiful!

1 Like