The Mindful Photographer

Thanks, Michael! Yes, I also think that’s what “being in the zone” means. It’s a difficult concept to define and to teach, but I think it becomes self-evident when you can anchor it in science and philosophy.

Thanks Dennis!

Thanks, Jake! Maybe it’s naive to expect many people to convert to this point of view, and I believe that a certain level of maturity and motivation is needed. We all start doing similar things. In time, most people find a place they are comfortable in, and are content to stay there for reasons other than photography (e.g., social circle, competition, etc.) Some decide to explore art. The sad part, as you refer to it, is that it can be hard for people to leave their comfort zone, and so some may never realize the benefits of making meaningful relationships with places or other subjects, and how rewarding it can be, both personally and photographically.

Thank you Preston! Great to hear from you! It’s been a while. Hope you’re doing well.

This is a wonderful piece of thinking and writing, Guy! My own approach shares quite a few similarities, but I would never be able to put it to words so eloquently and accurately. I too have been practicing mindfulness meditation and direct experience awareness into my time spent in the landscape and it has helped me be all the more present and connected.

Another great article, Guy! The delivery of your message flowed really nicely and helped it to sink in deeply in the end. I admire your ability to take profound concepts and explain them in a very simple, relatable manner, which is why I still find myself often referring back to “More Than A Rock.” I agree that when we go out into the wilderness and see the experience, the scenery, the life around us, only as a means to an end, in order to create some “cool” photograph we can share with people for some attention or praise, we are definitely selling ourselves short. I know this because I too at one point was the narrow minded, eager, beginner photographer that had his priorities in the wrong order and I now get much more out of photography since it has become less about making photographs and more about connecting with nature, the photos merely being a common byproduct of that relationship that just tend to “happen”. Anyways, loved it! Thanks for sharing this important message with us.

1 Like

Thank you very much, Sean! I, and several other photographers I know, can attest to the same effect that meditation has in our work. I worry that we are entering an era where people live among so many distractions that many have lost the ability to be completely focused and present. Several studies I saw estimate that Americans check their phone on average every 10-20 minutes, and likely are distracted by myriad other things during those minutes. That makes meditation, or anything else requiring focused attention, impossible. We are entering an age where almost nobody can be calm and mindful.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, Eric! I appreciate the nice words and will respond in kind: I listened to your interview with Matt Payne the other day, and felt very encouraged to hear your thoughts.

1 Like

What a great article to start the new year. Everything rings so true for me. Thank you for the reminder and redirection.

1 Like

Thanks for this splendid article, Guy! As many of us, I often live in a hectic rush and your reminder on how important is spending time in nature, practicing mindfulness and feeling the flow, is a great antidote. And the pictures that illustrate the article are a medicine for the spirit. All the best, Antonello

1 Like

When I first took up nature photography, I found myself pulled in the two distinct directions you describe above. I was naturally drawn to the more mindful approach but external forces and my desire for acceptance among my photography peers led me in a different direction for a time. This was ultimately unfulfilling so I started to spend time on cultivating a more mindful approach to photography, in large part due to your influence and writings about the benefits of such practices. This shift in my approach has been the key to creating more personally meaningful photos, developing a deeper appreciation for and understanding of nature, and finally feeling like I am on a better path. Thank you for the initial encouragement in this direction through your writings and continued efforts in spreading these important messages.

3 Likes

Wonderful writing, thoughts, and photos as always, Guy!

I wish I could say that I take a 100% mindful approach in the field as you and others described, and that I go into nature without expectations of nice photos, but if I am being totally honest I think I’m somewhere in the middle of that spectrum. I don’t think I have expectations that I’ll get some “epic” shot that will win the respect and wallet-contents of viewers, but I at least want something nice to commemorate the occasion and experience I’m having. I don’t exactly have national parks in my backyard so visiting a place like that is a big deal to me. I imagine that as I spend more time in the field, my mindset may shift as well.

Wow. This is poignant and relevant for me, big time. Thanks for writing it Guy. I too have been working really hard to try to be more open to seeing things in new ways and your method of visual inventory sounds like a perfect approach for me. I can’t wait to try it out. I can see myself sitting in a field counting all the things I can see, smell, touch, and hear. This is great.

Also, just a thought, but why is it do you think that society (or perhaps the photography community as a whole) rewards images created using convergent thinking more often than those that use divergent thinking? What I mean is, you see contest after contest pour on accolades to photographers shooting the same tired locations with the same tired compositions. Its interesting to me. Perhaps this world of competition is driving the wrong kind of creativity. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you Sarah! If my encouragement was in any way helpful to your excellent work, I take it as a great compliment.

1 Like

Thank you, Matt! Your question has a complicated answer (and whatever reasons I can think of, I’m sure there are more). There is a measurable decline in creativity in the US in recent years, and I assume elsewhere, too (I’ve seen a couple of studies). You probably know as well as I do the psychology of conformity, of wanting to belong, of tribalism, etc. A Google search will show also that many believe the culture of social media has something to do with it.
Of all these factors, one that is obvious to me is that we are raised and rewarded for convergent thinking. Creativity is very often not rewarded (or even tolerated) in school work, in the workplace, etc. And people have a very hard time breaking with habits. Also, there is often some sort of punishment or stigma associated with “failure,” which every expert on creativity will tell you is an essential part of creative breakthroughs.
Well worth a longer discussion :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh, for sure Guy. I love reading this and agreeing almost completely with the sentiment. One section that intrigued me somewhat was when you say:

This is a cute phrase, and I’d argue that making an informed decision requires a judgement!

You know that we share this approach, mindfulness in the landscape and in our day to day lives, and it’s the balance of non-judgement and allowing the free flow of the innate which is most fascinating to me. I’ve decided that there is a difference in my actual approach in the field versus my intellectualisation of that process in order to articulate it in articles or teaching. I have reached a point where any articulation is almost trivial compared to the innocence of the being in those moments. I know for me there is little cognition involved in image-making, however, whether judgements are being made or not, is something yet to be admitted :slight_smile:

Excellent article and moulds beautifully with one I finished writing yesterday.

That’s actually a cute half of a phrase :slight_smile: The complete sentence starts with “Such classification should be decided after you have become sufficiently aware of your surroundings…”

Eventually a judgment has to be made, or you would never trip the shutter.