The Voice of Rejection

Another re-post from the old site. This was also one of my favorite wildlife shots.

Stellar Sea Lions hauled up on the rocks at Glacier Island, Prince William Sound, Alaska. The big bull was pretty aggressively pursuing this cow but she was having no part of it and was quite loudly telling him what she thought about the whole thing! For those who notice that the cow’s right eye is closed, I got a lot of shots and noticed that her eye was apparently injured as it was closed tightly in every shot.

Sony a6500, FE100400GSM @ 400mm, ISO-200, f/5.6, 1/2000, hand held from a rolling tour boat.

I like this a lot, Gary. The color palette appeals to me and the isolated bull and cow focus my attention while the line of sea lions along the top edge hint at the crowd.

Gary, I too like the focus on the main two with the clear indication of the crowd along the top.

The details are simply superb in the large version and I love the blase attitude to the situation of the females up top, Gary. Were you able to get any wider shots with the whole group up top or a tighter one with just the bull and cow? I think they would also work and be nice companion pieces.

Gary,

Such a fantastic wildlife image, but even more so simply an outstanding nature image. The interaction between the two is clear, but it took several glances to even begin noticing the rest of the sea lions at the top of the frame. It’s like they’re just a continuation of the rock with just slightly different color variations. Very, very cool.

Lon