Throughline

Description:

The light wasn’t as wonderful as it was for the other shot, but we take what we’re given and do our best. Another sidelong look at the Prairie River - that group of trees is on an island where the river splits for just a few dozen yards and then joins back up. I’ve shot looking up river from that flat rock in front of them many times. The green was intense and lush. For this one I was again across the trail and up into the woods a little bit in order to get the near shoreline. Big things in the foreground on either side sort of forced this framing - normally I would want the trees more to the left.

Specific Feedback Requested:

I tried cloning out that little tree on the rock in the flow, but just couldn’t get the water to look right so I left it in. Also the greens - oh were they intense. Do they look ok?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
Tripod & CPL

Lr for basic RAW adjustments including dehaze in the water to bring up the drama. Lens correction, sharpening & nr. Texture in the foreground, but used a linear gradient to reduce it in the back somewhat. Also darkened some of that area using a darks mask in the TK8 panel in Photoshop. Brought up the blacks in the darkest parts because the shadows felt too blocked up. Lots of taming of the greens, let me tell you. I even through a curves adjustment into them to bring out more separation.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@the.wire.smith

Kris, the soft light is really nice. My preferred light really, especially in forested areas and when using a polarizer. I think the foreground an water nicely frame the cluster of trees just to the left of center across the river. I think the shutter speed looks good too. Thanks for sharing your processing techniques. Wow.

Thanks @David_Bostock - it’s a little flatter than I like, but what can you do? Lately I’ve been favoring quicker shutter speeds for this river. It has such variation of flow around the rocks that it’s never the same shot twice.

I’m glad you like the processing info…sometimes I think I include too much.

Oh and dopey me - I don’t actually have to hit the Lens correction check box in Lightroom as Adobe bakes in lens profiles for correction for all Micro 4/3 lenses.

I like to see your processing, Kris. As you know I use Capture One, but the overall processing is very similar. I actually find I rarely go into Photoshop anymore.

And yes, lens profiles for my gear is baked into both Adobe and C1.

Cheers,
David

Kris,

Darn, thought I had commented already - apparently not!

Lovely and peaceful stream side scene. This has a much more open feeling than your previous scene - not that I’m comparing… :slight_smile: But for sure, I don’t get the sense of a dense forest or overhead canopy - and so I think you benefited nicely from the diffused lighting.

The composition is beautifully balanced with ample attention to the fore, middle and back ground. Having the main tree cluster slightly off center works well too.

Processing spot on. No nits or suggestions - at all. A beautifully captured and processed image.

Lon

Thanks @Lon_Overacker - I tried to do the same or similar thing here, but there was just too much on the actual shoreline to make it work. Snags and leaners mostly. I was farther into the woods for it and tried, but a more open presentation works better. I have plans to see what I can do next time from farther back using a longer lens to create “windows” where very little water can be seen, but some. Mostly you hear this part of the river before you see it.