Unrelenting

Critique Style: Standard

The photographer is looking for thoughtful feedback on the image as a whole, especially around the areas noted below.

Feedback Focus: Artistic / Expressive

About This Image

I am always amazed with the unrelenting power of something that we dip our hands into multiple times a day without giving it another thought. When the glaciers retreated; about 25,00 years ago; in the area of what is now Franconia Notch SP; the resulting meltwater; carrying sand and stone; started the erosion of the bedrock granite. It eventually formed the geological formation now known as The Basin. The scouring action has created this pothole approximately 20-30 ft in diameter and 15 ft deep. This intimate section is where the Pemigewasset River starts it’s fall into The Basin.

Feedback Requested

Does the conversion to B&W work? Does this intimate section illustrate the story behind this image or is it to close? Anything else else you notice please feel free to mention it.

Technical Details

Camera: NIKON Z 7
Lens: NIKKOR Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3 VR
Focal length: 85mm
Shutter speed: 1/10s
Aperture: f/13
ISO: 100

I think this image tells the story, particularly combined with the title, Ed. The only thing I can think of to do differently is to add some kind of border as when viewed in the dark screen mode the left side and part of the bottom kind of blend into the screen. I like the flow in both the water and the water-carved rock.

Wonderful! And this looks great in B&W. I really like this as is so no nits from me.

Hi Ed, I always learn something by reading your “About This Image” and I appreciate that. I think this photo makes a great b&w image. I’m particularly drawn to the V that the water forms near the LRC. Beautifully executed.
Alice

This is lovely, Ed. I like the black and white treatment, and I especially love all of the triangles (see my markup). Regarding whether it’s “too close,” that was my first impression. I wanted a little bit more above and to the right, but of course, I don’t know what you are dealing with there.

Part of what makes the top feel close is the brighter lip just above where the falls enter the scene. I suspect there is a curve there and a sunlit shelf above that is not terribly photogenic? If that’s not the case, then seeing what’s up there might help us with thoughts on a wider composition. That said, I like the intimacy overall and don’t see a need for a much wider view, just a few pixels in the top and right unless that creates distractions.

Pardon the messiness of my triangles. I find the tool tricky for me to use with my tiny laptop and track-pad :innocent:. Yeah, that’s how I work.
ML

Visual Notes

[A1] triangle

[A2] triangle

[A3] triangle

[A4] triangle