Vigor to the end

Hi Eric and thanks for taking the time to view and assess our work. The original post about your topic was Intimate Fall scenes and seems to have expanded, but here’s one that might fit your first idea for this session.

Recently I’ve been working to expand the story of fall by making images that aren’t all about the trees. Finding small slices in nature, especially on forest floors, is a bit of a challenge. I couldn’t pass by this one and did my best to manage the scene without actually stepping down off a boardwalk to physically arrange it. I find it vibrant and a bit different because everything was literally saturated - it was snowing slightly, but at about freezing temp so things were starting to melt, too.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m interested in whether these kinds of scenes only work for people if they are highly simplified like the leaf on a rock shot and similar. Nature is messy, but photos shouldn’t be and I try to thread that needle. And, of course, any other beneficial advice.

Technical Details

Tripod & CPL

Lightroom to manage tonalities and colors using a variety of tools like curves, masking, calibration, HSL etc. Photoshop to remove distracting elements at the edges.

Hey Kristen,

Best for last I guess! Thank you for your patience while I got through all of these. I think this scene is pretty nice. My only suggestions would be to slightly raise the white point, slightly cool down the white balance (increases color separation), add a soft vignette to darken the edges, and crop a little off the right side.

I hope this is helpful!

Your friend,
Eric

1 Like