Wait for the Light

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Wait for the Light

Darkness is a fragile thing. When the sun goes down, it hard to see where you are going and where you have been. Even if you carry some form of light, the field of view is limited and your perspective is reduced. You must rely on what you know to get you through what you can’t see. There will be big rocks in your path followed by deep holes, so we shuffle around, taking safe steps. There will be branches overhead, so we walk with outstretched arms in an effort to feel what’s coming before it hits us. We know there may deeper snowdrifts out there, so we wear shoes that will keep our feet dry and warm. In wild places like this, there are are plenty of reasons to fear the dark. We prepare ourselves as best we can with bear spray, because recent warm weather has encouraged a few bears out of their dens. We wear headlamps but try not to use them in order to protect our night vision. The thing about darkness is, that even though we are at a disadvantage, there is much to learn as we pass through dark places. Courage is not a lack of fear, it is overcoming that fear and moving through the darkness that comes between us and the light.

I love photographing the night sky. It is scary, and it makes me feel small and helpless. It is more difficult to make a good image. Finding beauty in the dark brings me joy. So, I strap on a can of bear spray and go shuffling around in the dark to get to a place where I can capture a few stars. One more thing about darkness; it does not last forever. In this photograph, the stars are out in abundance, and the landscape around me is dark, but in just an hour or so, the light of the sun will win the battle with the dark of night! Slowly, one by one, the beacons of the black sky will fade into the blue palette of the morning. Its warmth will soon ease the soul, and bring back our hope and our vision. Darkness is fragile, because light is powerful. Wait for the light.

Specific Feedback

I was able to grab another 4 images last Friday during a clear early morning. I think this is my favorite from the night, but I wonder if it’s a little busy? I used a single Lumicube 2.0 light sitting on the ground off to my right. I knew it would be a little brighter than I wanted, but it was on its lowest setting. Do you think the colors in the sky work ok with the colors in the foreground? Does it bother you that the foreground has been lightened so much? If you really zoom in, you might see that I have removed the guardrail along the road. Is it obvious? Should I have just left it in?

Technical Details

Nikon D850
Sigma Art 20mm 1.4
ISO 6400, f/2.8, 10 seconds
Foreground lighting with one Lumicube 2.0 on level 1

I stacked 10 light and 29 dark (intervalometer error!) images
I processed them first in Starry Landscape Stacker, then Topaz Denoise and Topaz Sharpen, then the Ministars action in Photoshop. After that, back into Lightroom for a variety of processing steps to bring out more detail in the Milky Way and adjust the exposure values.

It’s wonderful to see you getting so many MW opportunities!! I like seeing the unprocessed version to compare. The sky and MW look quite believable, but for my taste the FG is not attractive or interesting enough to be the main subject, compared to the spectacular MW. I do understand wanting to find different landscapes to set it off, but for me it wants a subtle and gorgeous one. But I can’t fault any of the processing – nice job! In fact, excellent job on the sky!! The clear air has given you amazing detail!

I totally get that about the busy foreground. It’s a popular spot for Bozemanites so it would mean more to a local. I’m pretty lucky to be able to drive 30 minutes from my house to get to a spot like this! Got 4 more images this morning!

You are, and are making the most of it!! I’m just jealous!!!

Paul, this is a fine nighttime view of area, showing off the local ridge and valley topography well. The Milkyway and distant mountains look great. I do think the foreground is just a bit bright, although the presence of subtle shadows tells the story about your modest artificial light. I’m always amazed at how far a little artificial light goes under dark sky conditions.