Water and time

What makes this image expressive?

I was reluctant to post as I have very limited language skills when it come to personal expression and emotions.
It was June in the Rockies and the water pounding over the falls with tremendous power. I was attracted the shapes carved out by the water. I’m fascinated how water can carve rocks over long periods of time. Not sure

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback welcomed. Does the light water in upper left hand corner and the dark area in the lower right hand corner detract from the image.

4 Likes

Thank you Bryan for posting, I am glad you did. One of the things I get a lot with Expressive Photography, is that people feel they are not very eloquent at expressing their emotions. This is normal, and societally and culturally driven. I grew up in an industrial town and talking about your feelings was considered weak.

Thankfully, photographs are expressive, and we can use them to get across things that we wouldn’t feel comfortable in verbalising, or showing face to face. You can hide behind the expressive nature of your art. Easy eh?

I suggest you read some of the other posts I have written about the roles of luminosity and contrast in our photography, because they will answer some of your questions too.

In this image, I love the use of shutter speed to create needles of water, sharp tools to chisel solid rock. I like that a lot. I do wonder about that top left corner.

The easiest way was to just see what it looked like… Does this crop tell the story you want it to?

This is the key to moving forward. Every change has a consequence, the whole frame changes when you make one small change. If I had to choose, I would stick with your original.