Watercolor

Saw this rock in the ocean and really liked how the waves were crashing over it. I did a 1sec. exposure to show a bit of blur of the water.

Specific Feedback Requested

I am new here and really want to grow. Pretty new to photography and I don’t even know where to start.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Shutter speed 1.3 sec. ISO 100, F 6.3 Also in Lightroom very new so just a bit of clarity, saturation and contrast. ALSO super new to lightroom.

Thank you and I am excited to learn!

@love_4_the_outdoors

Welcome to NPN John, glad to have you here. It looks like you are off to a great start to me, this is an excellent first post. Your choice of shutter speed has created an interesting look in the water. And I love the green color you have in the water, it adds a lot of appeal to the image. And I also like the contrast between the sharpness of the rock, and the very soft and diffuse look in the water.

In terms of suggestions for tweaks, what I have to offer is both subjective and subtle, mostly because you already have a very good image to start with. I would recommend a slight crop from the top, to eliminate the white streaks in the water. A crop from the top would also make this even more of a pano presentation, which works well with the strong horizontal lines you have in the image. I also find the dark circle created by a submerged rock to be a minor distraction. If this were mine, I would clone it away, to me it competes visually with the rocks in the lower right corner (LRC). Not everyone may agree with this comment, I’ll admit its subjective. Here is a rework reflecting my comments.

Welcome to NPN. In addition to @Ed_McGuirk 's tweaks, I would add a little texture back into the large wave.

2 Likes

Welcome aboard, John, nice post. This is a fine slow speed image of one my favorite subjects (rocks and ocean waves), and it does look similar to nice watercolor painting. I agree with @Ed_McGuirk that you have wonderful sea colors and surf lines. The edit into a pano format and the removal of the dark spot as well as the texture from @Michael_Lowe have helped the original quite a bit. You could remove the the small violet bloom in the ULC as well, but that is pretty insignificant.

1 Like

Welcome John! I like your eye for composition with this scene, the color and simplicity with the added motion blur of the water make this a sweet image! I have noting else to add to what the others have said and I do like the pano rework.

Ed, thank you so much for responding to this.!! I totally agree with your input. I did notice my eye going to the dark circle above the rock. Guess I was just not comfortable getting rid of it. Thank you for your feedback and input!

Thank you for the feedback Michael! I see that as an improvement as well. The large wave looks to be a bit washed out/blown out maybe without some texture. I really appreciate you taking time to respond.

Thank you so much @Stephen_Stanton and @Keith_Flood. I appreciate that you took time to comment on my post and thanks for the warm welcome!