Waterfall at Ystradfellte, South Wales, UK

What technical feedback would you like if any? ANY

What artistic feedback would you like if any? ANY

Nikon D850 Tamron SP 24-70mm (at 55mm). f/13 1 second ISO 64.

I needed to get low for this with the tripod in the water with the centre column pointing downwards. I tried a few exposure lengths and hope that I chose the best one. I suppose I could have taken several and combined them in Photoshop, but I think it works as a single image. I worked hard to get the tree canopy to “frame” the water, and there having been a huge amount of rain immediately before, the waterfall was full and the trees glistening with moisture. I’d be interested in any good or bad points you can see in the image! Thanks., Philip

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

I think you did well. Processing looks good and the shutter speed looks nice. The only two things that stand out to me is that the bottom seems to have a lot of empty space. Too much water without something to add interest to the area. The left side of the frame seems a little much also without adding much to the shot. A lot of the rocks further up appear to have some nice moss on them. Did you try any shots closer with those closer in the frame? I love waterfalls. In the end, still a nice image. My suggestions really are just things maybe to consider.

Hi Philip, from my point of view.
The composition is not to bad I would try to move the waterfall more to the right so water would make a more leading line in the right corner of the photo.
Editing should be better also, I would be more careful about the bottom of the photo with a water there is a lot of green and magenta… Also the waterfall is to strong should turn down a bit the brightest part and would try to do more of the darker feel in the photo.
Hope this will helps you and gives you better idea of how to improve this photo.

Best,
H

This works fine for me, Philip - the trees to either side framing the waterfall nicely. There’s a quiet mood to this even in the presence of the rushing water.

Thanks for this, Hrvoje – I’ll have a good look in the light of what you say! Best wishes,

Philip

377956F0E9EF4E48940334EFC61AC531.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this, Ian.

Best wishes, and keep healthy!

Philip

377956F0E9EF4E48940334EFC61AC531.jpg

I think this is a very carefully composed image, with a lot of thought given to the framing of the falls. The processing of color and contrast also looks good to me, and great choice on the shutter speed, water flow looks great. I initially thought the bottom of the frame looked kind of empty too, especially in the lower left corner (LLC). But I would hate to lose the water flow in the bottom center and right. I think one way to make the LLC look less empty would be to burn down that corner significantly, and add some lesser darkening along the bottom frame edge. One other minor nit is in the ULC there is a branch that exits the frame with a yellow leaf, i would remove it.

Phillip,
Your low POV works nicely as does your framing of the waterfall with the surrounding woodlands. I particularly like the subtle lighting as it does a wonderful job of showcasing the lush colors of the vegetation. I also like the placement and textures of the water as it does a nice job of directing me to the waterfall. I only have two minor suggestions; the first would be to clone out the limb with the yellow leaf toward the ULC and the second would be to tone down a couple of sections of water just at the top of the falls. Really nice image here.

Thanks so much Ed and Ed! I’ve done a few things - I thought I would clone out the leaf rather than the whole branch as I think that is the main culprit! Ed McG - I have toned down the lower left somewhat (but slightly boosted whites/highlights) and the whole of the bottom area just a tad. I am worried to darken top areas of the falls as they are a bit on the edge and lacking detail and I don’t want to jeopardize the “clean” look , but I might experiment a little. Not sure how it is looking now!

Thanks to both of you for the time you’ve taken to comment and critique.

The rework is a noticeable improvement.

The good point is that you achieved what you intended. The waterfall is centrally located and nicely framed by the trees. The bad point is that the image documents the place and doesn’t show very much how you feel about it. This ability to create emotional images through composition and color takes time and practice, and frankly, that journey is the best part of photography.

I meant to say remove the leaf (as the main culprit) and not the branch, but wasn’t clear. However, you ended up there anyways. IMO I would not darken the area above the falls. Generally things further away are lighter and softer, i preferred the look in the original post for that area above the falls. The darkening of the LLC helps, but i might also clone away a few stray yellow leaves there too. It’s interesting to see this evolve through the discussion here.

I can’t believe the comment I wrote above. I’ve changed my mind. Perception can change from day to day, or just the time of day.

I really like this image @philip1 . How comfortable a photographer is with lots of processing varies by individual, but I think this one works well with a bit over-the-top.

2 Likes

Hello, Igor, I really appreciate your getting back to me again about this. I also appreciate the time you’ve spent looking at the image. I know that sometimes I really like an image I’ve done and then later it leaves me cold and later still I see what I originally liked once more. And I’m the same with others’ images! But I know too that I only put up technical data and the guidelines suggest saying what the images mean to me also. I can say it’s simply a place I love and I spent a couple of hours trying to encapsulate all its facets into one image: it’s a kind of meditation, if you like. I was pleased with the outcome and further pleased with some other photographers’ recommendations such as your own. But I hope you still don’t think I am being cold and over-technical at least! Very best wishes from UK. Philip

Wow! That’s really given it a magical and romantic feel. I’ll have a proper look and mull over both edits. Thanks for this take! Philip

1 Like

I am a New Member To NPN .
This is a really beautiful Image Philip !
Just my quick thought on Processing … I would also try Some more interesting foreground like a mossy rock or fall leaves on rock. + a vertical composition … Just my thoughts

Hello Ajay, Thanks for reaching out. I’ll give that a go and see. I quite liked the tree canopy framing the falls almost like an arch but your idea also sounds interesting. Thanks. Philip