Western Meadowlark Series

Testing The Waters

A Little Deeper Than I Thought

OK I’m Outa Here!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

While I have a fair number of images of this species in my files, this is the first time I’ve gotten one in my own back yard, let alone in a situation that I would never expect for this species.

Specific Feedback

Anything. The background in our pond is pretty tough to deal with, so any suggestions there would be appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, hand held, f/9, 1/1250, iso 1250, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Various Crops. All images taken around 2:30 PM on April 4th.

Very nice, Dennis. I just enjoy these birds. The colors and markings are really neat. I find that the Eastern Meadowlark are very skittish, and so the only way I have managed a shot of them (and not very good) is through the window. If I was to go outside they would be gone. They usually stop by in February, so I figure they are migrating. It is usually several of them together. They also are on the move as they are feeding, with heads down a lot. I commend you on even getting them in your little pond as well. Very nice.

Fantastic series, Dennis. While the first shot is my favorite, I love the action in the other three images. As for the pond background, well, I am envious of your pond so the backdrop doesn’t bother me at all.

First one is wonderful, but they are all very good. For the first one, I would remove the OOF blue flower as it pulls in my eye. Other than that, I can see why these are favorites for sure. Happy Holidays…Jim