What Remains: The Beauty of Winter in the Garden

Stunning images, great article. Thank you very much for sharing!

Thank you so much! I’m glad you enjoyed the article!

1 Like

So beautiful…I love winter plants and their delicate curves. You’ve expressed their beauty so gracefully and respectfully. Thank you.

Thank you, Atala! Appreciate your comment!

I always love your work on IG and the short descriptions and interactions we have had over IG. The full story you provided here is a great read! It really makes me love my chosen creative outlet even more! Thank you.

Thank you for the wonderful article full of thoughtful advice and inspirational photographs, Anne. Your narrative and the photos illustrate perfectly how trying to see opportunities instead of limitations can open up all sorts of productive creative channels. I also love the soft color palette of winter you share here. I have added the “Wintering” book recommendation to my reading lists, too.

Hi Ken! It is so great to see you here. I’ve enjoyed our interactions on Instagram, too. I’m so glad you enjoyed the article and that it reinforces your creative journey. As difficult and heartbreaking as this pandemic has been, I am so thankful for the joy that my photography has brought, and that I have been able to see a little differently to adapt to this time.

Sarah, thank you for your thoughtful comment. You are always in my thoughts as I seek to embrace opportunities rather than see limitations. Your friendship and our collaboration really helped me to see that so clearly. I am so thankful for the time we spent teaching together this year and the richness it has brought to my photography. You are an amazing photographer and a very special friend!

I really enjoyed your article very much. The images are lovely and the point you make about shooting in the winter is very inspirational. However, what I liked most about this article is that it’s less of a ‘how to’ article and more or 'here’s what I discovered while I struggled. All of our articles here at NPN (including mine) are of the ‘how to’ category, so this is refreshingly different. At times I almost felt like I was reading a diary.

1 Like

Igor, thank you for this wonderful comment. I’m glad you enjoyed the article and found it refreshingly different. It was my hope that, by sharing my thoughts behind this project, it would inspire others to view winter in a slightly different way.

Welcome to NPN Ann. I was enthralled when reading your article and your images are equally stunning. There is always somthing to photograph and you have captured this with perfection. I am glad you were able to get out and see the world in a different “light” during the pandemic and perservered through the Chicago Winter. Thank you so much for sharing your insights and your photos. The best is yet to come.

Ann, I have loved seeing this project come together the past few months on IG. Your work is always so meaningful and full of so much emotion.

Thank you, Lori! That means a lot to me. I’m continuing to enjoy this project although right now we have sub zero temps in Chicago and it’s just way too cold to be out. We are just trying to keep the pipes from freezing in our old house!

Thank you so much, Todd! Glad you enjoyed the article. I’m still enjoying this project, although right now we have sub zero weather in Chicago and it’s not comfortable to be out there exploring. I’ll be glad when it warms up a bit and I can get back to finding the beauty.