Wild flower rock

I came across these wild flowers (not sure about the species), while out photographing around Great falls national park towards the end of spring this year. Immediately when I was scaling the surrounding area with rock boulders I saw a bunch of wild flowers closer to the river banks. I loved how these were survived and growing out of the crevice of this rock boulder. Fragile and some petals already decaying. I tried to best capture just what I saw.

Specific Feedback Requested

Hi Alex :slight_smile:
I know you recently saw this during yours and Eric’s critique - just wondering if you have any feedback or thoughts. Would love to hear any input, thanks man!

Technical Details

These kinds of scenes are always fascinating. It’s amazing to me that something as delicate as a flower can grow out of a hard rock. It’s a fascinating juxtaposition. I think this image might benefit from a tighter composition in a vertical orientation around the flowers.

1 Like

Thanks very much for your feedback, Brian! It was such a fascinating scene indeed! I did try a tighter crop, wasn’t entirely sure if it works or seems decent?

1 Like

I like the crop. It really strengthens and lets those resilient flowers take center stage; literally. You might have a go at toning down the light rocks a little which may have a similar effect. Really a nice scene well represented.

1 Like

Hey Peter, totally agree with Brian here! I remember this one from the session with Eric, but it was at the end when we were out of time. I do think in general if you’re going to have a “single” subject that kind of stands out in a sea of “negative space”, centering it can lack energy and feel like it wasn’t quite “composed” enough, or intentional enough. Going tighter is one option, and I think that vertical crop works nicely - or putting it off center and letting it play off another opposing element (say, the wedge of rock coming in the lower left) is another way you could go. I also thought that the vertical line/corner of the rock wall to the right of the flowers kind of blocked off the right 1/4 of the composition, further highlighting how empty it was over there. So losing that area to the right should be done regardless, I think.

I also agree that you could darken the rock relative to the flowers, but I liked how your cropped version was brighter overall, I would keep the flowers brighter as the original feels pretty dim.

1 Like

Peter, this is definitely what I had in mind. This places more emphasis on the flowers and I feel like it tells a more concise story. The texture in the rocks add interest, but don’t distract from the main subject.

1 Like

I love the crop. It really makes it a much more intimate scene. Maybe a vignette that’s not too dark would help bring the eye on the flowers. I agree that it’s magical to see plants growing in between stones. These flowers look very healthy too. Great job.

1 Like