Won't you be my neighbor?

In summer (the nicest month in Wisconsin) I hang around on the dock as often as I can. You never know who will pop up. This lovely loon gave me the once over as I aimed the long lens in its direction. It was late afternoon and so the light was soft and warm. I have a print of this hanging on my wall in the living room.

Specific Feedback Requested

Ideas for improvement welcome.

Technical Details

Handheld with a little chop in the water as I can see. Our dock floats so sometimes I walk to the actual bank to shoot.

a fine profile

Lr for pretty much everything - the usual corrections and a crop. Some white balance adjustment, too. Texture and clarity. Topaz Sharpen, too, but it didn’t make a ton of difference. Used masking to just affect the bird.

And print-worthy it is too, Kris. Excellent. What a wonderful set of patterns on the loon.

Very nice! I am SO jealous of your Loons! I’ve heard they are very shy but they seem to like you.

They can be shy, especially when they have chicks, but they habituate well to humans. I’ve seen them just off the bow of a pontoon boat heading right for them and they just dive out of the way. Not a bother.

What a perfectly strange looking bird with a name to match! I can see why this is hanging on your living room wall.

I might be tempted to crop all the way around and perhaps lower the contrast in the background water?

Thanks @glennie - I think they’re called loons here because of some of the calls they make - like lunatic laughter and sometimes very startling and eerie. The same bird is called a northern diver in Europe.

Hm…I will have a look at doing what you suggested and see if it works. I kept the higher key treatment in order for the bird to be even more distinct from the water. Watching them in very choppy conditions shows exactly why that feather pattern evolved. They disappear!