Zenfolio experience

I put together a synopis here that you may have missed before: Recommended Printing and Framing Service for a Website

I’m currently in the process of moving over to Smugmug and am really enjoying it. The backend organization is fantastic and you can get it looking very good out of the box with only basic template customization.

They have a Lightroom plugin so I just drop my images in there and everything is synchronized. You can either do it by simple galleries, or the way I have it set up is to create smart galleries using tags, this way I can have the same image in multiple galleries. For example I have things sorted by Location, Subject, State, Color, Region, Year, Season. This is really helpful for someone looking for a specific print. It took some effort to set this up initially, but it will be really easy to maintain moving forward. Here is my new site, keep in mind it’s a work in progress https://davidkingham.smugmug.com/

I have chosen to not use the print sales through smugmug but to just use it as a gallery. There are several reasons for this, one is that over the years I have made only a handful of sales through the website cart on all the different platforms I have tried, 95% of the time people will contact me directly, especially for bigger orders for interior designers, etc. and then I end up sending them an invoice. Secondly, smugmug is expensive if you want to sell prints, I believe $360/year plus a 15% commission on print sales. The plan I’m on is only $72/year which is quite reasonable.

Personally, I think Smugmug is a better platform than Zenfolio, it’s clean and fast, SEO is quite good whereas Zenfolio has always had problems with SEO over the years. I also have several friends that are not happy with Zenfolio, yet many who love smugmug. No offense to my friend Ed of course :slight_smile:

1 Like