1046-open-spaces Glencoe

a 18mm image of Gencoe showing the U shaped ice age valley

Specific Feedback Requested

nothing specific

Technical Details

Hey Dave - a few thoughts from me.

1. I love that it conveys the sense of the u-shaped valley - that’s super cool!
  2. The grass lower left is a bit distracting and pulls the eye out of the frame.
  3. I would discourage you to use watermarks here, but totally up to you. In general I find them to be distracting, especially as it relates to critique.
  4. The greens feel pretty dark - any way to brighten those up some?

Hey Dave, I am thinking you wanted to post this in the Weekly Challenge category judging by the title you gave it. Feel free to edit your post and move it there, or let me know and I’ll move it. If you have questions, let me know.

Cheers,
David

I probably would have corrected the 18mm distortion a bit although the ‘U’ was what you were aiming to emphasize but it appears like you need some rotation to me. You have a sharpening halo on the ridge I would fix.

1 Like

This made me think " fish-bowl view." The 18mm definitely emphasizes the U-shape. I really like the suggestions noted above.

1 Like

I love Glencoe and this is a reminder to me of how much I miss it. This is certainly and interesting take on the geology in this region. The 18mm lens surely enhances the carved out valley. I’d like to suggest a couple of things:

1. The cloud coming in from the left side of the frame is distracting as it looks like a smear or something.
  2. The mountain on the right side of the image rises much higher than the mountain on the left side of the image and it makes for an unbalances feel. So. I would crop some off the right side to bring it in line with the left side.
  3. I would try and lighten the grasses some. Not a lot but some. They are a little bit dark.

The sky looks great and the foreground sand and river lead the eye nicely into the scene. Hope to get back here soon. Thanks for sharing this.

1 Like

I really like the sweep of the sky. The asymmetrical sides of the two mountains doesn’t bother me at all. In fact I sort of like it that way. The weight of the high peak on the right is sort of balanced by the sand on the bottom left. I think the image is over processed though. I spent a fair amount of time readjusting and accidentally found that the b&w is pretty good. The clouds look much better that way.

1 Like

Dave,

Very cool! The combined natural elements with the wide angle really do emphasize the “U” shaped valley - like this would be a fantastic illustration in a geology school book!

I agree with most of the suggested edits. I think they are all fairly minor, but adding them all up and I think image would elevate to the next level. What stood out for me right away was the dark cloud on the left edge. That should be an easy fix. I do see a need for a very slight cw rotation - but it also could be an optical thing… Overall it seems a little on the dark side - which would naturally happen when exposure systems compensate for a bright sky. Very minor for me are the grasses along the bottom, and a tiny nitpick would be cloning out the vehicle/truck? on the road far left.

Hope you don’t mind - like I mentioned, the edits are minor so this isn’t much different than your original - but wonder if the small tweaks make a difference?

You definitely have a fairly unique landscape image here.

1 Like