27 inch Retina 5k Monitor question

Soon my Mac will be obsolete (I won’t be able to install the next latest OS) so I am busy considering my options. Jump ship to PC (I’ve been a Mac user from the beginning) or stick with Mac. The new Mac Pro is too expensive, the new Mac Mini not quite robust enough for me, so I am left with considering an iMac. The available hardware is perfect for me. My hesitation is with the monitor. I have a lovely monitor, a 30 inch NEC, which I would have to get rid of. I have a question about the 27 inch Retina 5k display. Does the fact that it is a P3 color space , not sRBG or Adobe RGB, matter in the real world? I always calibrate my monitors and do a little bit of printing (up to 16x24 on an Epson 3880), occasionaly have a lab make a big print for me. No commercial work. Stricly a serious hobbyist. Should I care that it is a weird color space more suited for video work? Anybody have problems with how glossy it is? Thanks in advance.

I have an iMac Retina and have my NEC monitor attached as well. I use the dual monitor configuration with Lightroom. I also use the NEC when I take an image from LR to edit in PS. For some printing projects, I calibrate the NEC to D55, L 80 and leave the iMac at D65 L120 and just slide LR over onto the NEC. But if one calibrates, there really aren’t any issues. However once one gets used to a dual monitor system it seems hard to go back.

1 Like