70-210 + 300mm OR 100-400?

I’m taking a trip to the Galapagos in November, and working on putting together a comprehensive, but lightweight, gear list. This is a photography oriented trip, so I want to get the most out of it.
My lens assortment will be my 17-35, 24-105 and then a telephoto of some sort. I’ve got a 70-210 and also a prime 300. I don’t want to bring both, but I worry about missing something. On the low end of the range (24-105 and 70-210) there is a lot of overlap and at the high end (70-210 and 300) there is a gap.
I’m toying with the idea of selling the two telephoto L lenses and buying the new iteration of Canon’s 100-400mm. I’d get more versatility and save some weight.
I’ve been considering this for a while, but the trip has gotten my off my butt to seriously consider doing something soon.
The “old” version of the 100-400 is selling pretty cheaply right now, but I’m not a fan of push-pull zooms, and I like the internal zoom of the new model, but it’s selling for around $1900. There’s no way I can get it without selling the other lenses…
Any thoughts or suggestions, or experiences similar to this to share?

Bob, I went on a photography based Galapagos two week trip in 2013. It was amazing! At the time I had a full frame camera and brought the 16-35, 24-105 and 300mm lenses. Since then I have purchased the Canon 100-400 version II lens and wish I had it for the Galapagos trip. It would have been absolutely perfect for that trip! I really advise buying or renting the 100-400 II to bring with you along with the 16-35 and 24-105.

Thanks Carol!
Renting is an option I have considered, too.

For anyone who is interested, I made the jump and bought a 100-400 just before going to ABQ for the Balloon Fiesta last week. I can only say that I am extremely impressed with this lens. It’s image quality is incredible and the IS is the best I’ve seen. I was able to get tack sharp images at 400 mm handheld.

I’ll be selling 3 lenses that I won’t need now that I have this lens…

Back when I shot Canon, I had the 100-400mm push/pull. I never did learn to like that lens and eventually sold it. I think you are wise to look at the new version instead of trying to save and buy the old. Good call.

1 Like

IMHO you can go for new 100-400 mm, It’s a cracker & you’ll love it.

Bob, that was a good decision you made getting that lens. I love mine, and its close focusing range is marvelous. Only drawback is it’s slightly heavy for older folks like me. But that only means I should stay in shape.

I did get one, and it is a great lens.

Thanks Bill…I am liking this lens more and more every time I use it. I agree that it is heavy. Time for me to start curling more than 16 ounce cans. :grin: