A Image from the Spencer Gorge in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything at all :slight_smile:

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I want to improve my editing style!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Shot on a Nikon D7000 with a Tonika 12-24mm shot at 12mm, ISO 100, @1sec, exposure, F/11. Some free transform in photoshop to heighten the treeline in the background.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Ig @mikemccumberphotography

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Mike, I think there may be a problem with your upload. The image won’t resolve, only the thumbnail, which looks awesome btw.

It’s working for me. I see both the small and large versions, no problem.

I really like this. The composition works very well, and the light is wonderful. You have really nice tonal separation and range. My only issue is the two very bright spots in the cascade below the fall. I think that if you can get some detail there, that would really pull this up a notch. I like the curve of the flowing water.
–P

I see everything fine now, Mike. Very dynamic image. Preston has pointed out some areas with little or no detail. For me, the spray on the right side of the frame is a little distracting. Not a deal breaker at all. Really a super nice black and white.

Thank you for the feedback Preston and Gary! I really appreciate it! And I totally agree with both of you! Thanks again for the tips!! :slight_smile:

This looks quite nice, Mike. I would agree with the suggestions on the bright areas, If there is little or no detail in the original, you could try the cloning tool at 8 to 12% opacity (need to experiment) and lightly clone in just a hint of texture into the hot spots. I find it a handy little technique. Good job on the processing. An enjoyable image.

Mike. This is a beautiful image. The composition and processing look great to my eye. What I found so appealing about this image is the the balance between the contrast in the rocks and the smooth flow of the water as it twists through the image. With that in mind I wonder what you would think about cropping it just above the rocks to eliminate the trees above and focus solely on the water and rocks.
Great shot

@Harley_Goldman - Wow, Harley, this is such an obvious solution I can’t believe I never thought of it. I have an image that I’m working on where I overexposed a bit and blew out a couple of wave tips. But I love the image. I applied your suggestion and it worked perfectly. Thanks!